This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPRM chapter.

Last Thursday night, Presencias had the honor to present Dos Virtuosos del Jazz Latino: Yan Carlos Artime & Paoli Mejías. The performance took place outdoors, right in front of the “Antiguo Pórtico Colegial,” making it a beautiful jazz concert under the stars.

By 7:00pm there were people making their way to the “Pórtico,” securing good seats to witness a superb jazz performance. It had rained earlier but that was no impediment for the musicians or the audience members, some who are alumni but made their way back to UPRM to enjoy the outdoor concert.

“I was interested in coming to the activity because last semester I couldn’t make it. I loved it. The interaction of the musicians with us and the pieces played were amazing,” shared Josué Ruiz, Mathematics alumnus graduate from UPRM and piano enthusiast.

Needless to say, the event also counted with the attendance of UPRM students. Joshua Estavillo, an Electrical Engineering sophomore, came to the event to clear his mind after a tough week. “Since this is a cultural activity I thought it was a good idea. I also came to the activity  last year and really liked it; I highly recommend Presencias.”

Andrea Nemesszeghy, a Mechanical Engineering sophomore, commented the Presencias program. “As a student, I appreciate the activities Colegio hosts to inform us a little bit more about a type of culture that maybe we’re not used to. I’m not, but it feels good to appreciate another person’s hard work and passion.”

The concert started at 8:00pm with Cuban pianist Yan Carlos Artime playing “Aurelia.” The crowd applauded greatly when he appeared and listened with admiration while he played his piece. An even bigger round of applause came up after Artime finished and gave a special thanks to the audience and the University of Puerto Rico at Mayagüez.

Photo credit: Mariela del Toro for Presencias UPRM

“Last year I got invited for this series of concerts and I had an extraordinary time and I’m happy I got invited again,” expressed Artime. The pianist shared how 17 years ago he received a call from someone to make an arrangement for his first album and how, he ended up making the arrangement and playing it also. “That person is a great friend, without a doubt one of the best percussionists from this country and the world. I’d like to present a great friend of mine and with who is a great pleasure  to give this concert, Paoli Mejías.”

Everyone applauded as Artime finished these words and Mejías made his entrance. Both of them started playing their instruments passionately. The first piece played by both was “Bailamo’ a siete mamá” which was an eclectic mix of piano and bongos. They also played “Rumba Negrita,” “Moreno Café,” “Colores,” which was dedicated to Artime’s father who was a painter, and “Manicero;” each of the pieces was performed with piano and the congas.

Artime played the piece “Consuélame” by himself. He wrote the piece in honor of his mother, a great Cuban pianist. “I didn’t know it was for her until I had finished it,” he said. 

Mejías appeared again and together they played “Hello Nany,” a piece from Mejías’ Grammy-nominated album which is dedicated to his father. After this piece, the musicians happily answered questions from the audience. Both Yan Carlos Artime and Paoli Mejías finished the concert with the piece “Capullito Alelí.”

The crowd gave a massive round of applause for such a wonderful and classy jazz concert that enlightened a stormy night at Mayagüez.

Jennifer Mojica Santana is an undergraduate student at the University of Puerto Rico, Mayaguez Campus (UPRM). She is currently pursuing a degree in English with a concentration in Literature, and minor studies in Project Management and Writing and Communications. Mojica Santana has written for UPRM's chapter of the online magazine Her Campus since March 2015. She served as the chapter's Senior Editor from January 2016 through May 2016. From June 2016 through October 2017, Mojica Santana was the chapter's co-Campus Correspondent and co-Editor-in-Chief. During the summer of 2917, she conducted research at Brown University. Currently, she is a visiting student at Brown University.
Her Campus at UPRM