Popular TV and Movie Releases to Look Out for This Summer

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPRM chapter.

By Sofia Camacho and Giuliana Conty

As the summer season approaches and people search for new entertainment, more and more films and tv series are announcing their releases and gaining the public’s attention. Summer 2021 brings in a vast assortment of great titles to choose from and, as trailers and promos continue dropping, audiences are getting exceedingly excited for what’s to come. Whether you prefer to stay indoors and stream these titles from the comfort of home, or are dying to head out to the theater to watch them on the big screen (following COVID-19 guidelines, of course), we have assembled this list of exciting new releases you need to watch this upcoming summer!

A Quiet Place Part II

Release: May 28, in theaters and Paramount+

In the second installment of John Krasinski’s A Quiet Place, the Abbott family now has to face a post-apocalyptic world outside their sound-proof fortress. They soon come to find out that the sound hunting creatures are not the only ones that pose a threat. New characters played by Peaky Blinders star Cillian Murphy and the MCU’s Djimon Hounsou are introduced in the film. Meanwhile, beloved actors Emily Blunt, Millicent Simmonds, and Noah Jupe come back to reprise their roles.  

Watch the trailer here.

Loki

Release: June 9, on Disney+

Arguably one of the MCU’s most anticipated series, Loki takes place immediately after the events of Avengers: Endgame (2019). This series is set to star big names such as Owen Wilson and, of course, Tom Hiddleston. Marvel has been keeping everyone on their toes since not much has been revealed about the six-episode series. However, the multiple trailers assure that it will be a witty and fun adventure through time.   

Watch the trailer here.

In the Heights

Release: June 11, in theaters and HBO Max

Produced by Warner Bros. Pictures, this movie adaptation of Lin Manuel Miranda’s debut Broadway musical follows the story of the inhabitants of Washington Heights in the course of three days as they struggle against the changes in their block and work hard to pursue their dreams. The film will star Puerto Rican actor and singer Anthony Ramos as Usnavi, a bodega owner who’s well-acquainted with the neighborhood’s people and history, and is the protagonist of the musical. In the Heights promises a motivating, beautiful, and heartfelt story about the importance of culture and the strength of community.

Watch the trailer here.

Luca

Release: June 18, on Disney+

Starring child actors Jacob Tremblay and Jack Dylan Grazer, Pixar’s newest film Luca follows Luca and Alberto, two young sea monsters who decide to explore the nearby Italian town Portorosso by using their ability to disguise themselves as human. Enrico Casarosa, director of the movie, drew from his own experiences growing up in Genoa, Italy, and on local legends to create a beautiful coming-of-age story based on friendship and acceptance.

Watch the trailer here.

Elite – Season 4

Release: June 18, on Netflix

Ever since its first season was released in 2018, Spanish teen drama Elite has been exceedingly popular with audiences worldwide. Now, the Netflix Original series returns for its fourth season, where the remaining students of Las Encinas must face the arrival of a new director and new classmates that will threaten existing friendships and create conflicts that could end in tragedy. Although the conclusion of season three says goodbye to fan-favorites Lu, Carla, Valerio, Nadia, and Polo, season four introduces brand new characters that will undoubtedly continue to add drama and excitement to this already thrilling series.

Watch the date announcement here.

Black Widow

Release: July 9, in theaters and Disney+

After many years and many pleas from adoring fans, Disney is finally set to release Natasha Romanoff’s standalone film, Black Widow. The movie is set to follow Natasha’s journey after the events of Captain America: Civil War (2016). The film will also give insight into her past as a spy and some family dynamics, with Florence Pugh starring as her sister, Yelena Belova. Black Widow is also Marvel’s second female lead movie, the first being Captain Marvel (2019). 

Watch the trailer here.

If you are searching for something exciting to watch this summer, feel free to check out any of these recommendations and share them with your friends and family!

Sofia Camacho is a fifth-year Industrial Engineering student at the University of Puerto Rico, Mayaguez Campus. She is also pursuing a minor in Writing & Communications, as she one day hopes to write her own novel. Sofia has been a member of Her Campus at UPRM since 2020, writing articles about media and entertainment. In her spare time, she loves to read and write, and to spend time with her friends.
Andrea Méndez Igartua is pursuing a major in psychology and a minor in writing and communications. She's passionate about reading and writing, and hopes to publish a novel one day.