This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPRM chapter.

Ah, it’s that time of year again, the time where a wave of pink strokes our campus; that time of the year where every woman should get a mammogram done. You all know why, right? It is breast cancer awareness month where plenty of charities and marathons are occurring in support of those women who are battling a war they did not choose.

UPRM showed support to these women with a great deal of activities wherein one of them was “La Marcha Rosada” (a walkathon around the campus). A very empowering female and also a cancer survivor, Dr. Gladys Gonzalez, succeeded in making UPRM’s campus a venue for one of the American Cancer Society’s marches. Everyone, including dogs wore something pink, from shirts,  to ribbons, wigs and beautifully decorated bras. The event kicked off as our talented marching band started to play, followed by “Las Abanderadas”; who were followed by our guests of honor, every woman who had survived the battle and at the tail was every student who came to support the cause. Everyone had prepared a banner which expressed their  unique way of supporting breast cancer. 

Even thought it was 11AM, practically 100 degrees outside, you could see that every single person had a smile on their face. It was a wonderful atmosphere, between students singing their hearts out and taking plenty of pictures they will remember forever. Waiting for us at the finish line was the  band, who received everyone with the college anthem; not only that but there were plenty of refreshments, cakes, decorations and quite loads of positive energy every soul was radiating. What better way than culminating the event with a big bra of people? You know what they say, “Support the fighters and admire the survivors”. 

Photo taken by Carlos A. Diaz

All other photos were taken by Aurelie Arnould. 

A twenty year old student studying Social Sciences and Italian at the University of Puerto Rico - Mayagüez. I have a great desire to learn from others, travel, live, and be the best person I can be.