This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPRM chapter.

Isn’t it just so lovely to think how music can mean so much to us? To think they are just sounds with deep meanings (lyrics). Isn’t it wonderful how we get to relate to music? It speaks for itself no matter if it’s sad, happy, angry or exciting. Music always has a way to make people stay and make them remember those wonderful memories attached with it. We all have a different perspective when it comes to music because it’s a universal language for us humans.

To me, music means the absolute world and I can’t live without it. Songs bring me memories; they find a way to get me out of bed and go on with my day. I’ve adopted a habit of having to listen to music while studying for tests or simply to revise my homework; it’s a way of focusing on what I have to memorize. When things get a little too much for you at college, I suggest you take an hour to listen to some calming melodies. This way, you’re able to distract your mind instead of draining your energy and spending time worrying about an inconvenience. For a college student, time means many commitments and being busy, yet I always (somehow) find a way to take my music anywhere as long as it keeps me away from being busy all the time. 

Here are some of my tips on how I handle my college student life while listening to music:

• On my way to the classroom
    • It’s actually my go-to when I’m heading alone to class. Music gives me good confidence, it helps me with social anxiety when the campus is full of students. I like to pretend I’m in my own movie, just chilling in my own world and minding my own business. And the best of all is that it can calm my nerves before I even get to go inside the classroom. However, if I find my friends on my way to class, I engage with them in a conversation. This could create a healthy balance between music and my friendships.
  • While studying
    • Before I get to study, I make sure to set a calm and relaxing atmosphere such as deciding which music genre to listen to. I’ve heard that one of the best genres to study are: instrumental, ambient music (nature background sounds like birds, wind and water fountain) & lastly jazz music. It helps you ease and clear your mind so you can focus on learning everything. 
  • On my way to my hometown
    • This genuinely helps me think throughout the whole drive, the things I need to do or the things I need to take priority over. I don’t know if you relate to it somehow but it really helps me to prepare a schedule for the day. It just makes the way back home more peaceful and enjoyable, even better if you have company so it’s like a carpool karaoke and an endless drive. 

Little did you know that I wrote this article while listening to Folklore by Taylor Swift. 

Disclaimer: I’m not promoting those who have a healthy studying pattern to do this as a new habit. This article was written because I have been using music to study for my tests and do my assignments ever since I was in elementary school. I hope many people find this article helpful. 

Julybet is a writer at the Her Campus at Universidad de Puerto Rico at Mayagüez chapter. She is a very passionate enthusiast for films & music, she is also an advocate for human rights. Earlier in her teen years, she started to be drawn to activism and fighting for equality and justice. She strongly believes that everyone deserves to be treated with dignity and much respect; and is committed to use her voice for those who can't, making a difference in the world. In addition to her advocacy work, her love for music and film is as much as important. She tends to find solace and inspiration in the power of storytelling through music and visual arts. Always seeking a meaning whenever she's listening to music or watching a movie, she's trying to understand the message. Overall, she strives to make a positive impact in her personal and professional life. By combining her passion for human rights with her love for music and films. Hoping to inspire others to join her for a more and inclusive society. “I believe that through creativity and activism, we can truly make a difference in the world”.