More than Coffee Lovers: “Café Campo” Organizers

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPRM chapter.

It is not many students who take on the challenge of organizing a far-reaching educational event, while meeting their academic responsibilities. That is not the case of these three students, who took on the task of organizing –along with the Agricultural Sciences Student Council- the first ever “Festival Educativo del Café” or as they called it, “Café Campo”. Keep reading to learn more about this non-stopping working team and their commitment to their university.

• Oscar Hernández- Agricultural Sciences Student Council President, “Café Campo” organizer.
  • Charluz Arocho- Agricultural Sciences Student Council Vice-president, “Café Campo” co-organizer.
  • Mónica Ruiz- Agricultural Sciences Student Council councilor, “Café Campo” co-organizer.

In the beginning there was just the idea for another way to show the importance of the Agricultural Sciences College: this idea came from Oscar Hernández, who expressed “I was talking to a friend about the potential this college has to organize different activities, and that’s how the idea for this event came”.  Being his first year as part of the faculty’s Students Council, the Agribusiness student has demonstrated that “Piñero” has in fact, so much more to offer to UPRM’s community. “I wanted the student body to know more about the local coffee industry and this product that is one of the most sold of the island.”, said Hernández.

Taking on a challenge of this kind has definitely has its benefits, either professionally of personally. Charluz Arocho, Animal Science and Pre-Vet student, said “I learned time management skills and how to get organized in general. Professionally, I learned how to approach different people and I got to know people from all over the island.” On his behalf, Oscar Hernández was particularly focused in his gained knowledge on how to approach diverse administrative fields and how to communicate efficiently in general.

Not only has planning “Café Campo” served these three students on a professional level, but they got personal gain from it too. They all agreed that teamwork was the most important lesson acquired from this experience. “I have been so lucky to have an amazing team that has made this event possible”, said the organizer when thinking about this now passed experience. It is needless to say that great things come on the way for these three leader students who are determined to provide another view for their faculty. 

*All photos are property of “Café Campo-Festival Educativo del Café”

Mónica Ocasio is a senior majoring in comparative literature, with a minor in Italian at the University of Puerto Rico- Mayagüez. Born, raised and living in Puerto Rico, Mónica has always enjoyed reading a good book, spending time with her family and baking.