Meet the Writer: Physicist by Day, Writer at Night Laura Olivieri

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPRM chapter.

Name: Laura María Olivieri Robles

Year: 4th

Major: Physics

Hometown: Ponce

So you’re co-editor and co-correspondent of Her Campus-UPRM chapter, but you were the one who brought the idea of starting the chapter at this school, what made you want to establish a chapter at UPRM?

Her Campus as the name hints is all about empowering women. At the moment of its creation there were no spaces were UPRM students could vent and identify with the struggles a typical college student encounters and so our chapter was born.  I loved the liberty the space gave to its contributors, as in, writers could join us from any faculty bringing their different perspectives along. Plus, it is a great opportunity for students to hone their writing skills and contribute positively to our community. 

You wouldn’t expect a writer and editor to be majoring in Physics, why did you choose this particular major?

Since I was a kid I wanted to do everything, be a writer, a chef and an architect, just to name a few. But when faced with the decision, I dived into the science field. Science is innovation and without it our lives would be a whole different story. Physics being the mother science attracted me the most, in a way I got my wish of doing it all.

Science is a male dominated area, what would you say to girls who are looking to major in it?

I would argue that we are at a turning point in history in which more and more women are given the chance to study and pursue professions in the STEM fields. Puerto Rican culture seems to be more open to the idea of women in these fields, but the fact that female professors in these fields are scarce at UPRM should say raise a few flags.  Many women have already shattered stereotypes and barriers but it is up to us, this generation, to cement the changes they did so the coming generations won’t have to face these questions.

You will be passing on the Campus Correspondent position for next semester, what is the most remarkable memory you take with you from being part of HC-UPRM’s team?

It’s more like memories… I loved the opportunity Her Campus gave me to interview students, professors and local celebrities. Thanks to these opportunities I have learned about so many wonderful colegial lives, finding some solace and inspiration to keep up with hectic semesters. 

What are your plans for summer?

This summer seems very promising! I plan to focus my career in science communication so imagine my excitement when I was told that I would be interning at Science Magazine, a major publication in the scientific community. 

Mónica Ocasio is a senior majoring in comparative literature, with a minor in Italian at the University of Puerto Rico- Mayagüez. Born, raised and living in Puerto Rico, Mónica has always enjoyed reading a good book, spending time with her family and baking.
Olivieri is a Puerto Rican entrepreneur who craves knowledge and has a passion for writing. Currently trying to unravel the world's mysteries by majoring in physics.