Meet the Writer: Aspiring Journalist Sophia Caraballo

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPRM chapter.

Self-described as “too girly”, but totally comfortable with it, Sophia Melissa Caraballo is an aspiring journalist majoring in English and minoring in Communications. This history and medieval stories aficionado graduates next June and is on her way to grad school. By being part of the Her Campus Writers Team she has been able to materialize her passion for journalism. “When I applied to study at Colegio I was eager for an adventure, a change of pace. Here I developed my affections for letters.”

Did you always know you wanted to write?

No, actually. I started at the Pre Vet program as a freshman. I have always loved writing, but I did it as a hobby. I never actually thought I could make a living out of it, but that is the goal now.

As a journalist, what kind of stories do you want to focus on?

I want to specialize on writing in advocacy for minorities and underrepresented groups in the US. Women have advanced a lot, but we still have a long way to go and I hope to help women advance on our way to equity.

What makes you a swiftie (Taylor Swift fan)?

She is the feminist of our generation. Through her music, she satirizes criticism from the media regarding her personal life, and that is a brave thing to do. She is a hard working woman who inspires us to advance as far as we can, definitely a role model.

Other than writing, what are you passionate about?

I certainly hope to travel the world someday, all of it! I haven’t traveled much, so I am curious and excited about the idea.

Where do you see yourself ten years?

Hopefully with a PhD, teaching at a well-recognized journalism school, and writing for a newspaper, online preferably. It would be very nice to publish a book too.

Former Chief Editor and Campus Correspondent at the Her Campus UPRM chapter of the University of Puerto Rico at Mayagüez. Writing in NYC, living the dream.
Her Campus at UPRM