Marching to Fiestas de la Calle Colegial

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPRM chapter.

The well-known melody of  Colegio’s Hymn, interpreted by our Centenarian Marching Band, was heard from Avenida La Ceiba, in front of the Student Center on September 25th. It was the day where the UPRM community celebrated the university’s 103rd anniversary and 26th Job Fair Anniversary. 

The University of Puerto Rico-Mayagüez opened it doors on September 23, 1911. The first graduation took place in 1914 where 15 students graduated. The comunnity grew as time passed and in 2014 a number of 1,853 diplomas were given in the 100th graduation ceremony. Meanwhile, the Job Fair was created as an initiative that helps students develop themselves professionally by doing internships and acquiring experience through a company in their field of study and interest.

As part of the tradition, the Centenarian Marching Band and the “Abanderadas” initiated the ceremony.  In the repertoire for the occasion were the songs “Amiga”, Pretender, “Zumba” and “Vivir mi vida”.

After all the formal protocol, other musical groups like “Alma Latina” and “Hipnosis” entertained the audience as they ate free food provided by the university. While doing so, recruiters from different companies and students organizations exhibited their projects in a relaxed environment.