“Lo Que Nadie Quería Que Fuera”: A Reflection on Success

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPRM chapter.

In the past year and a half, Ponce’s very own PJ Sin Suela has gone from being an indie rapper to getting  a doctorate degree in medicine and becoming one of Pandora’s Latin artists to watch in 2018. Having announced his debut album, Vital in mid 2017 and opening for Residente in his U.S. tour, PJ has recently released his single “Lo Que Nadie Quería Que Fuera” to close 2017 on a positive note.

(picture taken from PJ Sin Suela’s Facebook)

In “Lo Que Nadie Quería Que Fuera”, Sin Suela explores his newfound success from performing on the streets in Mayagüez, Ponce, and San Juan to jumping into big stages in Residente’s tour. But, despite all the success, PJ continues to implore the youth to study, which he explains by providing a bit of his experience of being a rapper and a medicine student. While the song might seem like a “hype track” where one would just want to dance and jump around, the tune is not just about that. The lyrical content goes beyond the topic of balancing education and art. Sin Suela wishes the youth would continue on a positive road in order to avoid “Menos embarazos ignorantes” (“Pregnancies out of ignorance”) so we can have more “Más Dante y Cervantes”  (“More Dante and Cervantes”) and less “asaltos y maleantes” (“muggings and criminals”).

(cover for the single taken from PJ Sin Suela’s Soundcloud)

Sin Suela’s latest track also shows a bit of growth from the artist while also sticking a bit to his boom-bap roots. By having a hypnotizing trumpet in the background and what feels like a live band performing the instruments, PJ Sin Suela shows that he and his crew will go to great lengths to make quality music both lyrically and musically.

The video to the track is another example of Sin Suela’s growth as an artist. Directed by César Berríos of Filmes Zapatero, who has worked in the past with Calle 13 and Álvaro Diaz, the music video is influenced by the style of concert films, vlogs, and Instagram videos while adding a bit of Latino flavor as it was shot mainly in Mexico.

(still from the video as found on YouTube)

PJ Sin Suela continues to show that his artistic and musical proposal has a lot of potential, and Pandora was not wrong when they named him a Latino musician to look out for. His work over the course of these last two years has clearly had an  impact on Puerto Rico and Latin America’s culture. Hopefully, he will continue to have a successful platform in this fast-food-style music streaming culture, and if this single is an indication of the greatness in Vital, I believe we are in great hands.

Listen to the song and watch the video below:

Spotify

Soundcloud

YouTube

Fernando E. E. Correa González is the author behind over 20 self-published poetry books. He has been published by literary magazines & journals [Id]entidad, El Vicio del Tintero, Sábanas Magazine, Smaeralit and Tonguas. Other than writing, Correa is also a filmmaker, podcaster, photographer and master’s student. He currently lives in his native Puerto Rico.
English Major at the University of Puerto Rico, Mayagüez Campus. With a minor in Comunications and a minor in Marketing. Interested in all things entertainment and pop culture. Passionate writer and aspiring journalist. Former Campus Correspondent at HC UPRM.