This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPRM chapter.

Dear freshman self:

You are going to start one of the most influential periods of your life: college. It’s a place built, not only for further learning in your particular field of interest, but for promoting life lessons one may carry for the rest of our lives. It’s normal to ask current or former Colegiales for advice, but keep in mind that every experience is different. Therefore, I can give you tons of tips, but one stands out from the rest—individuality. Be the person you’ve always dreamt of becoming, take chances, have fun, and enjoy everything that comes your way. Talk to strangers, ask questions, and surround yourself with people who motivate you to be better every single day. It may seem daunting to realize that your high school friends get involved in their own lives, slowly drifting apart from you, but it’s okay. People come and go from your life very easily in this new chapter—don’t worry, only the best stay through it all. At UPRM, you will meet, see, and talk to so many different people, either at a random class in Chardón or on a Thursday night at La Bosque, who have varied opinions and beliefs. College has the power to introduce you to different aspects that make you grow as a person: the variety of student associations, from drama to engineering, that help you surround yourself with people who share your interests and hobbies, enabling you to engage in meaningful conversations and hopefully make friends with them. Be open to those moments and make the best of them, because in the end, what have you got to lose? See these particular moments as an opportunity to meet people who will change your life, for the better.

I’ve always thought that college was like a supermarket—you encounter so many different things and, when you visit it, you may end up getting something never seen or heard of before. Colegiales are filled with different ideas, philosophies, and personalities which oftentimes open you to an insane amount of learning not typically discussed in high school. Don’t be afraid to talk to the person sitting next to you because, who knows, he or she may end up being your best friend throughout your academic years. Most students are eager and open to meeting new people, so get out there and surround yourself with different groups and increase your knowledge and perspective of the world like never before. However, one thing is essential in college and that is self-value. Know and cherish your gifts, and don’t let anybody take control of your life, because the degree of independence achieved in college teaches us that every action has consequences. Do things you want to do and surround yourself with people who promote that same belief. Be unique and let the world (in this case, El Colegio) be your canvas. Accept your flaws, but also emphasize and promote your personal qualities in order to see every day as a chance to become someone better. College students are people who are trying to find their place in society, so they make mistakes along the way just like everybody else. Don’t get stressed or paranoid if you fail an exam or if your current relationship crumbles. This is a time in your life where change becomes quite normal, so embrace it, don’t suffer because of it. Enjoy the process of shaping your personality, opinions, and views because that phase will eventually end. Before you know it, a cap and gown will be bought and all that will be left left are the pictures of those unforgettable jangueos en La Bosque or Las Justas, where you screamed at the top of your lungs singing Colegio’s anthem.

You’re about to take a huge step. It’s okay to be scared, nervous or anxious, but keep in mind that change is something completely normal and the best is yet to come. The author William Butler Yeats once said: “Education is not the filling of the pail, but rather the lighting of the fire.” College will indeed brighten and expand that fire in you so don’t let it fade: expand academically in your field of study, but also in the common study of life, love, and happiness. I can’t wait to see what life has in store for us, but for now, let’s enjoy the first of many rollercoasters of this little thing called life.

Sincerely,

Your college-experienced self

English major at the University of Puerto Rico, Mayagüez Campus. Aspiring TV writer, producer and director who has the ability to change the world one show at a time. All round Feminist inspired by great actresses like Mary Tyler Moore, poets like Maya Angelou, broadcasters like Oprah Winfrey, and fighters like Gloria Steinem. Lover of life, food, meditation, swimming and anything that has to do with the 60's,70's and 80's.
Jennifer Mojica Santana is an undergraduate student at the University of Puerto Rico, Mayaguez Campus (UPRM). She is currently pursuing a degree in English with a concentration in Literature, and minor studies in Project Management and Writing and Communications. Mojica Santana has written for UPRM's chapter of the online magazine Her Campus since March 2015. She served as the chapter's Senior Editor from January 2016 through May 2016. From June 2016 through October 2017, Mojica Santana was the chapter's co-Campus Correspondent and co-Editor-in-Chief. During the summer of 2917, she conducted research at Brown University. Currently, she is a visiting student at Brown University.