timon studler BIk2ANMmNz4 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
timon studler BIk2ANMmNz4 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Letter to my 16-year-old Self

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPRM chapter.

Dear 16-year-old Kei,

This is me writing to you, I’m 20 now and you’re 16. I want to tell you so many things. All of the good and the bad to have you prepared for what’s about to come, but I won’t. I’ll make this quick, but not too quick. We all know how short your attention span is.

So much is happening to you right now. It’s all crashing down on you, but, wait a little longer, my friend. I assure you it will get better over time.

I know fear has stopped you from doing a lot of things, like speaking your mind. You shouldn’t. I’m more vocal than when I was in high school, and it has worked out for me quite well.

Fear will be there, I won’t lie and say it will go away. But remember, you’re going to have to kick its butt for certain situations. Tell yourself that you will overcome it and strive for what you want to achieve.

People are going to come and go from your life, even those who promised to never leave. It will hurt for awhile, I won’t lie. I advise you to take your time and talk to your friends. Don’t bottle it up. It was something I learned the hard way.

Right now, you’re probably crying in bed because you discovered your sexuality and gender and you know your family is very homophobic. You’re freaking out because you aren’t who everyone thinks you are or expect you to be. I’m here to tell you not to listen to that voice inside your head. It can be cruel and nasty and bring you down.

Trust me when I say this, you will be okay. People you love and care for you will know who you really are and support you unconditionally.

You will love so many things you were told are dumb or stupid. Ignore those people and love those things without any shred shame. Express your love for them and talk to people about them. You will make so many friends because of them and love them.

Love yourself, Kei. Enjoy yourself as much as possible. Have fun! Be a teenager and make stupid mistakes where you can learn something from them. Be you, no matter what.

Be strong, hun. There’s a long road ahead of you.

Love,

20-year-old Kei.

P.S.

You will love who will become.

Karina or Kei. They/them pronouns. Twenty (20) years of age. Writer and cartoon enthusiast.
Fabiola del Valle is 22 y/o English Lit. major studying at UPRM. She currently holds the position of Campus Correspondent and karaoke queen.