The Letter I’ll Never Send

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPRM chapter.

It’s been years. The hustle and bustle of this life I have created have taken over. I had almost forgotten. But how do you forget the one person you said you’d love forever even though your “together forever” got cut short?

I’ve tried and managed to get through this and do what I love to do. I have stayed true to the passions and dreams I’m very keen on making true. Dreams that if it had not been for you, I would have never made up my mind about. A big part of me changed into my present self because of you. I don’t see that as something bad at all, because I would not love art so much if you hadn’t made me fall in love with it, just as I fell for you. I would have never written my book or danced my way through life if I had not spent all that time involved in art with you.

I cannot deny that our time together was very special and marked me. Even though we weren’t exactly in accordance or correct for each other, it was undeniably special. We helped each other dream. We used to sing out loud and dance; I remember that time we got drunk and, honestly, you were a danger at the wheel. If it had not been for that, I would have never written all the poetry I’ve created, wouldn’t have touched the stars dancing, and you would not be following your dreams in front of the camera.

We’re good friends now. But I can’t help it when my skin tingles at the memory and my heart clinches a bit when we’re talking about our love lives or I see you on the street. It’s like I’ve been thrown a bucket of ice-cold water each time I stumble upon the very first song you dedicated to me. I still can’t quite listen to the one I dedicated to you. All in all, you turned out to be a truly great friend. I keep wishing the best for you, a life full of love and happiness. I mean, Whitney Houston said it all.

Years have passed and I still remember it as if it were yesterday, even though the person I was then has changed and gone through a lot. It’s all a bit bittersweet, how it tastes. It’s all a bit blue, how it feels. How even now, you’re still there. How, even though I’ve loved again and I’ve kissed again, you will always be just that; the one I will forever love. So here’s to the mess we made, the mess we were, and the people we turned out to be.

Author of "Partida en Dos," a self-published poetry book, and also published writer featured in magazines such as Sábanas, El Vicio del Tintero, Emily, and the Anthology of the Revolutionary Alliance. Bachelor student of English Literature and minors in Comparative Literature and Teacher Preparation. Born and raised in the West of Puerto Rico, artist, dancer, tree-hugger and animal rights activist. 
Her Campus at UPRM