Lets talk about: National Suicide Prevention Month

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPRM chapter.

As we welcome September, we kindly remind our readers it is also suicide awareness month. We can agree that we all should be there for our friends and family, no matter how hard life can be. Suicide is a serious topic, so I encourage everyone to learn more on the internet on other ways to help. Even the happiest people on this planet can feel the saddest, this means that depression doesn’t have a defined image on a person. Throughout my life, I can say that I’m very observative about my friends and classmates’ behavior. I’ve met people who have experienced many life situations, depression is one. I never felt the need to leave them to deal with this alone, so I decided to support them as they try to battle this feeling that pushes them down. Their sadness and endless thoughts takes them away from who they were. When a person can go from being joyful to feeling numb in just seconds, some people tend to deal with depression in different ways. I suggest you check on your loved ones, we never know what they could possibly be going through.

Not long ago, I experienced what it’s like to lose someone when you thought they were just fine days before. That was the first time I knew depression doesn’t have a stereotype, nor can we assume just because other people look happy it’s because they are. Let’s start to spread kindness, it is not that hard to be a good person to others, and avoid having to make others feel so unappreciated in this world. We all came to this world to give and show what love really is. To those who live trapped in a war with themselves and think of taking their own life please don’t, people still love you and you have other opportunities that life will offer you. I understand college exams, heavy schedules, and getting ready to face change can be tough at times, but that doesn’t mean that life ends there. If you think disappearing from this planet is the solution, you’re wrong, this could be a tragic shock for your loved ones and can lead them to being stuck in the denial stage of the 5 stages of grief.

Look, I like to think about it this way (if it helps) when life starts to feel like it’s pressuring you or draining you, it’s because it’s testing your strength on how you handle such things, but make sure to never give up. Don’t end it like this when you had dreams and you used to picture yourself in 20 years being successful. It doesn’t have to end like this, family and friends are there also for support and all the love enough to give for a sad heart to heal.

Please, don’t ever let depression take over your life, you matter, you are important and you are loved. So this is my advice for everyone who has ever thought of taking their own lives, don’t do it. It’s not the solution and definitely not the right thing to do. Also for those who feel alone in a situation like this, I suggest seeking professional help. They might help you overcome trauma and heal from depression or anxiety. A good talk while walking around nature can make things better, one’s soul starts to relax and feel relieved. Another way to make the atmosphere more comfortable is by including isolated people at any social gathering or just anywhere so they can feel included and free their minds from the over thoughts and anxiety. It’s always important to make everyone realize their worth, and also make sure to treat people with kindness. 

World suicide prevention day is September 10th: its a time to remember those affected by suicide to raise awareness and focus efforts on directing treatment to those who need it. 

If youre thinking of suicide, are worried about a friend or loved one, never hesitate to call the local helplines. We need you in this world and this place wouldnt be the same without you. 

-Puerto Rico Helpline: Linea PAS 

1-800-981-0023 / 1-888-672-7622

-Nationwide Lifeline 988

Contact the 988 Suicide and Crisis Lifeline if you are experiencing mental health-related distress or are worried about a loved one who may need crisis support

Julybet is a writer at the Her Campus at Universidad de Puerto Rico at Mayagüez chapter. She is a very passionate enthusiast for films & music, she is also an advocate for human rights. Earlier in her teen years, she started to be drawn to activism and fighting for equality and justice. She strongly believes that everyone deserves to be treated with dignity and much respect; and is committed to use her voice for those who can't, making a difference in the world. In addition to her advocacy work, her love for music and film is as much as important. She tends to find solace and inspiration in the power of storytelling through music and visual arts. Always seeking a meaning whenever she's listening to music or watching a movie, she's trying to understand the message. Overall, she strives to make a positive impact in her personal and professional life. By combining her passion for human rights with her love for music and films. Hoping to inspire others to join her for a more and inclusive society. “I believe that through creativity and activism, we can truly make a difference in the world”.