This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPRM chapter.

A few weeks ago, I gathered my wits and my friends to watch the second part of the classic tale It. We were a little late considering it was opening day and finding good seats was virtually impossible. Nevertheless, the movie began and despite being few feet away from the screen, I was determined to enjoy the next almost three hours. 

Source: Google

Having seen Bill Skarsgard in most of his past work, I knew he would be able to keep up, and even improve, the quality of his interpretation of Pennywise throughout this second part; he did not disappoint. The way he was able to embody the character and get every tiny mannerism just right was chilling. He produced a truly terrifying performance and, even more distinctly, when he wasn’t the star of the scene. The addition of these “background scares” where you are able to see the danger in the background is one of the greatest effects to create in the horror genre. That sense of desperation of “when is it going to jump out”, literally keeps you on the edge of your seat.

The kids’ performance did not vary much from what it was in the first chapter but not in bad way. Although, I will say that Finn Wolfhard (Richie) and Jack Dylan Grazer’s (Eddie) performances were nothing short of comedic genius, all the kid actors were able to convey their characters and express their individual situations rather perfectly.

Source: Google

The characterization and writing of the grown up versions were incredibly well thought out and clearly showed the repercussions of past experience. Andy Muschietti (Director), Gary Dauberman (Screenplay) and Stephen King (Original Story) were able to create incredibly round characters. From James McAvoy’s portrayal of the ever so sensitive and calm Bill to Jessica Chastain’s Beverly struggling to move on from her abusive past, the characters and casting felt right and gave the sense that these kids could have actually grown up to be this way. Not only that but the constant references to the past, made everything even more believable. 

Source: Google

I, honestly, would not compare this version to the original TV movie because they are just different. I wouldn’t say one is better than the other but rather that they each have their moments. Tim Curry will always be the Pennywise we all know and love but Skarsgard modernized it and made it just that much scarier. Stephen King’s writing is still represented as well as ever and this film shows just how effectively scary it actually is. The continuity was very well executed and the screenplay was incredibly entertaining. Dauberman was able to write an absolutely terrifying movie while making it funny and emotional as well without losing any of the scare factor.

It Chapter Two was really everything anybody could have hoped for. With well-rounded characters, tension, excellent character interpretation and just enough cheesiness, Muschietti and the rest of the cast and crew were able to bring a new classic afloat and quite a successful one at that. 

English Major with minor in education and art, aspiring writer, foodie, cook, baker, vegetarian, animal lover, Netflixer and indie music enthusiast.
B.A. in Political Sciences from the University of Puerto Rico at Mayaguez, currently pursuing an M.A. in Journalism at the Río Piedras campus. Fan of pop culture, media analysis, and Taylor Swift.