Iso and Chris: Drag King Misfits

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPRM chapter.

The wind blowing the leaves everywhere mimicked the wispy excitement inside me because, for the first time, I was going to meet two real drag performers! Upon arriving on campus, we engaged in conversation as if we were old friends. To be honest, I expected them to be egocentric and prideful, but I was wrong; they were funny and nerdy.    

Iso, in the pink blazer, and Chris, in the black leather jacket, appeared on the cover of Índice together.

Iso and Chris Griandher are part of a group of people that have transcended traditionally imposed limitations by gender roles. Together, they perform drag king shows mainly in Río Piedras, while they expand and get themselves known in the sea of drag queens. Not only are their performances the opposite of drag queens’, but they also seem to challenge the concept by further exploring gender. As the blonde and bright-eyed Griandher said, “drag kings are more flexible; drag queens do an exaggeration of femininity.”

Headfast into ridding myself of the fresh-eyed possible ignorance of drag kings, I quickly asked “Is it really a small community?” turning to Griandher.

“Here in Puerto Rico, yes. In the United States they’re still struggling their way through but it’s a bit more normal,” matter-of-factly he said, “people here still ask ‘drag king? What is that?’”

“What are some of the biggest misconceptions about drag kings?”

“They think we’re transgender.” They both answered at the same time and I couldn’t help but giggle at their bubbly coordination.  

Chris started explaining the plateau of personalities in the group,  “a lot of people think you either have to be gay or transgender. I am transgender, and there’s a straight girl in the group, a bisexual girl, lesbians.”

The first time I saw the raven-haired Iso onstage was in TeatRUM’s production of Tales of Beedle the Bard. Performing as a King, as an old maid, and as a sexy bartender, her fluidity between roles was chameleon-esque.

Iso in character. Photograph by Gabriel Hatuey.

“No matter what people want to say about it, drag is theater. Theater majors that want to express themselves artistically go into drag because it’s extremely theatrical. I always liked breaking that [wall].” Iso fiercely described, gesturing with her hands and a feeling of ease and love for theater evident in her eyes. Calm and collected, with arms wrapped around his knees, Chris explained how he differed, “the real challenge was that I’d never stepped on a stage. That first time I panicked but when I got on stage it all went away.”

Proving just one part of the multifaceted magic of theater, they both described how they turn into different people once they’re onstage. One wouldn’t guess how awkward and funny they are in real life. Both on and offstage, they find love and support. Despite their fear of being judged by their peers and parents, reality showed them to be surprisingly supportive. From surprise appearances on their first shows to wishes of great success, their families were proud and open-minded. Iso gesticulated how her dad literally said, “You’re fighting for your rights and I think it’s really cool you guys are standing up to the patriarchy.”

It’s impossible to deny how some people are against drag shows and drag per se, but Chris admitted how “there’s so much good feedback about it, we can’t even tell if there’s negative feedback.”

Iso expressed that what they’re  doing is “ballsy.” She mentioned, “ I think that’s why people think it’s attractive. I’ve had people move out of the way when I was walking in a crowded club because they thought I was a dude until they put Britney Spears ‘Toxic.’ It’s a very empowering thing.”

Chris Griandher onstage. Photograph by Neo G. Melendez.

Apart from the empowerment and bravery involved in drag, both performers pin the greatest thing of it all as having fun being themselves and the crowd’s reaction. Regardless of the safe zone they have in Río Piedras, some concerns bubble up to the surface. For example, Chris recalled how a girl came up to him complimenting his bravery, for she’d be scared of getting shot. Conjointly, Iso oftentimes worries about enraging someone for cross-dressing and being herself. Sharing her fear, her brother’s tried to help keep her safe. Iso recounted times that as a woman, she hasn’t felt safe in contrast with the patriarchal mental image of strength which she embodies as drag.

“I lost my car in Río Piedras and I was wondering for an hour in full drag. No one looked, I didn’t hear any comments. If it had been just me, I’d need an escort because I can’t wander around by myself at 4 o’clock in the morning anywhere.”

When it boils down to it, they didn’t get into drag for themselves. They created a safe space for others that they never had the opportunity to have. It’s a place where everyone can be confident and happy about themselves because no one will judge them. Iso recalled how she’s “seen insecure people come to our shows and have a blast. We’re like this group of the sweetest misfits on the planet. Our drag shows are a pride night, every month, the first Thursday, it’s pride. And we celebrate pride! If people come to our shows and feel happy, included and safe, we’re doing our job right.”

Author of "Partida en Dos," a self-published poetry book, and also published writer featured in magazines such as Sábanas, El Vicio del Tintero, Emily, and the Anthology of the Revolutionary Alliance. Bachelor student of English Literature and minors in Comparative Literature and Teacher Preparation. Born and raised in the West of Puerto Rico, artist, dancer, tree-hugger and animal rights activist. 
Her Campus at UPRM