I Went to Trump’s Inauguration: Here’s What I Saw

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPRM chapter.

January 20, 2017 was an unusually warm day, with temperatures in the low 50s and murky skies when the Historical Inauguration of Donald John Trump as President of the United States would be celebrated in the south side of the US Capitol. Some came to see Donald Trump; others came to protest his presidency. That morning, the business tycoon and Republican Party leader swore to take office as the 45th President of the United States. Washington, D.C. was not just a city that day: for a couple of hours, it was the center of worldwide media attention.

Security at the District was on high-alert

The crowds, which were surprisingly small, started flowing into the National Mall, which was completely fenced and only accessible through certain checkpoints. The streets were filled with military men, Secret Service police, DCPD and the National Guard Security at a maximum K-9 units were deployed and walking amongst the guests. The iconic “Make America Great Again” red caps could be seen everywhere and Trump bobble heads, t-shirts, pins, flags and other articles were being sold in every corner. Even Latinos were selling them: “It’s where the money is at,” a street vendor said.

“I felt it was only fitting that I came,” said first-time voter Sal from New York. “I’ve supported him since the beginning and seeing here makes me happy”, concluded the Communications major. Like many Trump supporters, he was wearing the red “Make America Great Again” cap.

Sal was excited to be in DC for Trump’s inauguration.

Not everybody who was present was there for Trump; some were there for the spectacle or others, like John, was there to talk about Jesus Christ–one of the many Evangelical demonstrators who frequent the Mall and events such as this one. “I came because of the people, I feel they are lost and I decided to come and spread the word of Jesus for them”, said the Colorado native, who gave out blessings to passersby.

An attendee dressed as Russian President Vladimir Putin. Trump has received scrutiny form both Republicans and Democrats for his troubling relationship with Putin.

Others came to protest for what they stand for, like Lily, a DC resident who protested what she called Trump’s “illegitimate” presidency. “Trump sucks and that is why I’m here,” she said. “I cannot choose the worst thing about him; he will undo all the progress we have made in every frontier in the last decade.”

Some say I'm crazy I just see the world differently. Not really into sports, really into thought and science.
Claudia is a witchy English Literature and International Affairs major from La Parguera. She's worked in various on-campus projects, such as the MayaWest Writing Project and as a tutor at the English Writing Center. In addition, she's worked at Univision and has also been published in El Nuevo Día and El Post Antillano. When she doesn't have her nose in a book, you can find Claudia tweeting something snarky and pushing boundaries as a Beyoncé expert. Follow her on Twitter and Instagram, @clauuia.