This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPRM chapter.

By Ninoshka Ramos and Gabriela Ramos

We all have wished to have a summer worth remembering. Most of the time, things get in the way, so we end up (a day before vacation ends) regretting not doing the things we deeply wanted. As summer break is approaching, we should prepare for it and make it reeeally count. First thing first, make a list. Yes. A list. Write everything you’ll like to achieve—be realistic though. Just to be clear, “Party with the band of my dreams” is NOT realistic. Even though some may think that one has to do extravagant stuff in order to make the most out of the summer, I’m here to tell you that’s not true. Here is a list of simple, on-the-budget things that make any summer worth remembering forever.

1. Watch the most sunsets you can At the beach with friends, alone on a rooftop, while having a picnic at the park… Watching the sun and contemplating how it sets allows you to appreciate and feel more satisfied with life, giving you a better sense of gratitude for everything that’s happening ahead of you.

2. Stare at the stars Take the time to stare at the sky above your head. It really does not matter if you know the scientific name of the constellations or if you recognize the planets and moons. Gaze at the night sky. It’s been scientifically proven that doing this releases stress and sparks the creativity inside you.

3. Do something creative Whether you’re good at painting, dancing, drawing, writing, singing, or any other form of art, do something. Splash some colors onto a canvas, put some music you love on the speakers, and dance your heart out. Make your soul shine while taking your creative side for a ride.

4. Try out a new food It can be a fruit, vegetable, meat, fish, ANYTHING. Just think of all the things you have yet to taste, who knows? Maybe you stumble upon a new favorite flavor, something that will surely shake you completely.

5. Stay inside the box Just for a little while. Benefit from the things that make you feel comfortable, that make you feel safe. Even if it sounds ‘immoral’, there’s nothing wrong with taking a break. Treasure these moments too.

6. Learn something you have always wanted to Cooking, drawing, sewing, makeup, a new language, organizing techniques… This is the sign to learn that thing. Yes, that thing that’s always indulging your curiosity, that you’ve been too scared to try before. Go for it!

7. Disconnect to reconnect For a day, choose to detach from all technology around you and connect with nature. Go to the park and walk barefoot on the grass, roam around the beach and listen to the waves, climb a mountain to feel the summer breeze, get wet in the rain, catch some vitamin D on a hot sunny day… Whatever it is you do, cherish your time, truly make an effort to bond with nature, and connect with yourself in the process.

It does not matter if you decide to do something simple or extravagant with your summer; you are the owner of your life, you decide where to go and what to do. Whatever it is you end up spending your time on, make your best attempt to enjoy every step of the process. Always, always be as happy as you can.

Her Campus at UPRM
Ninoshka Ramos Rosas is a third year Industrial Engineering student at the University of Puerto Rico, Mayagüez Campus. An island girl driven by waves and sand, poetry, and love. Hopes to travel the world as a successful engineer.