How to Spend Your Valentine’s Day Without Spending

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPRM chapter.

I’m not above wanting to be smothered in gifts and chocolates on Valentine’s Day. In fact, I fully expect my partner and I to go out (while following safety regulations), exchange gifts, and waste more money than we would on any given day. But that won’t keep me from disparaging the over-commercialization of this beloved holiday. I don’t mean to be a party pooper, but it just feels strange to have our love monetized and measured by the weight of our pockets. It’s too easy to fall head over heels for the idea of splurging on extravagant meals and presents when it’s so gratifying. You finally get the chance to swipe that credit card guilt-free!

I totally get it, I feel the same way. 

But before buying those heart shaped chocolates, ask yourself this question: “What other ways could I celebrate my love for my partner without spending?” (But buy those chocolates anyways, because duh… it’s chocolate.) I’ve thought of a few ideas so you don’t have to.

Watch something they wanna watch

Is there a movie or show your partner has been begging you to watch with them? Suck it up, make some of your butteriest popcorn, and watch it with them. I promise you it’s not as unbearable as you think it is. If I’m wrong, then at least you have the coziest consolation prize of all: cuddles!

To top it all off, wear your softest (or sexiest) pajamas and bury yourself under your favorite blankets. It’s hard to have a bad time when you’re that comfortable. Anyways, after you watch what they like, they can return the favor and watch something you like!

Take a walk with them

I don’t know about you, but I love taking walks around my neighborhood at night with my partner. February nights are still pretty chilly, and you can just walk around by yourselves under the stars, talking and laughing together. Hold their hand and enjoy the quiet that settles at night and the feeling that you’re the only people in the world. 

Make a DIY gift

One word: coupons. They’re the gifts that keep on giving—especially if you tell your partner they’re reusable! You can find a coupon template online, give it some color, add a nice font, and it’s ready for printing. If you’re struggling to find ideas on what to fill your coupons with, here are some things my partner and I have added to our coupons in the past: 

•   15 minutes of backrubs

•   Queen/King for the day

•   I do your chores for the day

•   I cook for you

To really put the cherry on top, you can draw some designs on the coupons, and draw (see what I did there?) some inspiration from your friend Google.

Cook something for them

Buy some ingredients and try to cook something new and mouth watering to share with your significant other; whether it be some spaghetti or homemade pizza, I’m sure they’ll enjoy it. Don’t forget to set the scene with some scented candles, placemats, and mood music. 

For dessert, you could even bake some chocolate chip cookies together from scratch! It’s delicious, and it gives you the chance to bond. The time you spend together might even be more delicious than the cookies themselves (if that’s possible). 

Tell them you love them 

I left the most obvious, yet essential, gesture for the end. Profess your love to them as though it were the very first time! Say it until the words just stop making sense. Love them senseless, and love them proud. 

Andrea Méndez Igartua is pursuing a major in psychology and a minor in writing and communications. She's passionate about reading and writing, and hopes to publish a novel one day.