neonbrand KYxXMTpTzek unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
neonbrand KYxXMTpTzek unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

How to Beat the Mid-Semester Slump

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPRM chapter.

It’s that time of the semester again, when us collegiettes have fallen into a routine of schoolwork, exams, extracurriculars and of course, napping. You may be feeling the blues that come with what we call the mid-semester slump, and are probably experiencing a lack of motivation and a huge amount of stress to ace all of your classes. It probably doesn’t help that Spring Break and Justas ’14 are almost here and all you can seem to think about is the amount of time you’ll be spending at the beach with your friends, or all you’ve planned for those glorious days of freedom. However, homework doesn’t do itself (unfortunately) and you probably still have a few exams lined up before your break, so here are some tips to get you through these couple of weeks.

1. Get some excercise

Go for a run, take a zumba class (monday through thursday at 5pm, in the Natatorium), or look up a yoga routine on Youtube. Exercising clears your mind, helps relieve stress and leaves you with sufficient energy to tackle your schoolwork. Studies also show that even 20 minutes of exercise can help improve memory, brain cell growth and information processing. Most importantly, exercise releases endorphins which give a sense of well being and help drive away negative thoughts. As Elle from Legally Blonde so eloquently put it: “Exercise gives you endorphins. Endorphins make you happy”. So next time you feel like taking a nap before studying, go for a walk or a jog instead! 

2. Prioritize

So you have an essay, a Calculus exam and a History project all for next week? College may get overwhelming at times, and sometimes it may seem like we don’t have enough time for it all. The key is to prioritize. Get a head start on that essay whenever you have some free time, and set a schedule to fit in time to study, have a coffee break or even to watch that last episode of Scandal you missed the week before. When you organize your time, it’s easier not to feel overpowered by your tasks and responsibilities. An agenda is a great way to plan your week, and it doesn’t have to be an expensive option! You can even make your own and continue to use it for the rest of your college years, like this blogger did: http://www.ihanna.nu/blog/2011/02/how-to-make-your-own-planner/

3. Set up a playlist

For many college students, music has become vital during their study sessions. Music has been shown to boost concentration and relieve stress, as well as influence our mood. It’s important to recall though, that the type of music we listen to while studying could either help us concentrate or distract us from our studies. Specialists recommend classical and low beat music for studying. They also suggest music without lyrics and to stay away from the radio since presenters and ads are sure to distract you. Chek out Spotify.com, which has tons of playlists that can help you concentrate and make the most of your study time.

4. Change your study habits

Find a study group, or try out a different place the next time you study. Changing the atmosphere and ambience may help you focus better, and get more work done than if you were by yourself or in your dorm. Although the library is a great place to study, and probably the one you frequent the most, there are other places on-campus and nearby that offer great services and a relaxing space such as:

• Las Peceras, located in the Department of Industrial Engineering
  • Celis Study Room, located in Celis 011
  • Happy Bowls, just a short walk away
  • Friend’s Café, located in the Plaza Colón

If you’re still looking for the perfect study spot, here are some of our preferred locations: http://www.hercampus.com/school/uprm/best-study-spots-finals-week#

5. Take care of yourself

Eat healthily, get a good night’s rest and give yourself room to breathe. How you treat your body is fundamental in how it responds everyday. We’ve all been in a situation where it’s just easier and faster to go through a drive-thru and order a hamburger and fries, instead of making yourself something at home. However, foods high in fat and carbohydrates only slow you down and make you feel groggy, and can result in an unnecessary hour-long nap. Foods like berries, whole grains (think oatmeal, quinoa and whole wheat bread), nuts, green and leafy veggies, and dark chocolate (yes, chocolate!) are proven to help your brain focus and give you energy. Finally, treat yourself to a good night’s sleep everyday (or at least try to get at least 6-8 full hours of sleep) and give yourself time to relax. Reward yourself with some “me time” whenever you’ve finished a task; whether it’s time to start reading a book, a bubble bath or an episode of your current favorite series.

Pictures courtesy of weheartit.com/

Sophomore majoring in Psychology at the University of Puerto Rico-Mayagüez. I was born and raised in Mayagüez and am a self-proclaimed food lover who loves coffee, reading, the ocean and dogs.