This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPRM chapter.

Holidays are fast approaching and with them, a lot of free time, unless you are in el Colegio. This year, most of us won’t have a long holiday break, and cannot travel home. I’ve compiled a list of books that are a perfect escape for those breaks in-between studying sessions. Apart from treating yourself to a book in the scarce free-time us Colegiales will have, it’s also that time of the year where we consider treating loved ones to gifts. These books are not only great reading options for ourselves, but they may also make great presents to those we love, whether we spend the holidays with them or not.

1. Turtles All the Way Down by John Green

The latest John Green novel is a must in your TBR list. This story centers around Aza, a teenager with obsessive-compulsive disorder, who investigates the mystery of a fugitive millionaire. The book provides a fresh perspective on what it’s like to suffer from  OCD and anxiety. It gives us an insight of the struggles of living with a mental illness and how it affects the person’s life, as well as how it influences everyone around them.

2. Six of Crows by Leigh Bardugo

The first of a three-part fiction series, this novel is about an unlikely crew of criminals that are paid to carry out an impossible heist. It is full of wit, humor, sarcasm, and a lot of twists and turns. One of the novel’s greatest achievements is how well it delves into the psychology of the main characters.

3. Throne of Glass by Sarah J. Maas

This book, the first of a seven-part series, is often described as a crossover between Game of Thrones and The Hunger Games. It is an exhilarating twist on the tale of  Cinderella that gets darker and darker with each book. The series is full of unexpected turns, and destroys the stereotype of the love triangle.

4. I am Malala by Malala Yousafzai and Christina Lamb

The autobiography of Malala Yousafzai is a very brave and inspiring story, not only about Malala, but her entire family as well. The book narrates her life before being shot by the Taliban all the way through the aftermath of it. It serves as a reminder of how lucky we are to be able to receive education, and how we should never take it for granted.

5. This Is Me Letting You Go by Heidi Priebe

This book is a collection of short essays filled with encouraging, positive words that we all need to hear, but sometimes don’t want to or don’t have someone to tell us. Some of my favorites were “Read this if nobody texted you good morning”, “Read this when you’re tired of everything”, “Here is when you need to be alone”, and “The worst kind of failure that nobody talks about”.

(All Images from: Google Images)

English Major at the University of Puerto Rico, Mayagüez Campus. With a minor in Comunications and a minor in Marketing. Interested in all things entertainment and pop culture. Passionate writer and aspiring journalist. Former Campus Correspondent at HC UPRM.