This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPRM chapter.

Straight from El Salvador, Hillary Martínez arrived at Colegio dribbling her basketball and with big dreams in her heart. The 19-year-old dynamite player–who averages 30 points per game–has her eye on the prize: the coveted LAI Championship trophy, which the Juanas also won last year. However, her path to court domination has been a long one.

Hillary was chosen as last year’s women’s basketball MVP.

The Juana began playing basketball when she was 7 years old. After years of watching her brother play at his games, she suddenly “got the urge to practice and ever since then, I’ve been playing all the time.” 

While she currently studies Agriculture, she is awaiting approval to switch her major to Chemical Engineering during her sophomore year. She admits how, since the first time she found out about UPRM, she has wanted to come here because “the level of study is among the best.” 

Thanks to a Guatemalan friend with whom she played against in many games, the opportunity to actually travel to Puerto Rico materialized. “One day she asked me if I wanted to come to Puerto Rico to study and be an athlete. She gave Frankie [the coach] all my information and soon after, he contacted me.” 

Hillary representing her home country, El Salvador.

Hilary recalls how she was initially drawn to basketball because of the collaborative quality of the sport (she refers to her teammates as her “sisters”) and so, the transition into learning the rules and playing for the first times wound up to be easier in regards to being a team player. Her university family, which are her teammates and their coach, are something Hillary is very thankful for, especially due to the fact that she came to this country fresh-eyed as if it was a “new world.” “There’s always mutual support. Ever since I arrived they’ve always been there, helping me however they can.” Their coach, Franklin Román, also plays an important role because he pushes them daily to be their best. “He recruited us for a reason: he saw our potential. Even though sometimes we may complain, ‘ay, nos chava mucho,’ he pushes us so we can be at our best.” 

Playing with UPRM’s team isn’t her only triumph. At 15 years old, Hillary formed part of her country’s major feminine basketball selection and qualified for the Pre-Global U-18 Games in Denver, Colorado. After years of being invited, she finally accepted the invitation, claiming she had initially hesitated because she had just changed to a new school and wanted to take her time to adapt to the new place and studies. While her first love has always been basketball, Hillary knows that balance is key when it comes to being a student-athlete. “It’s a difficult task and not anybody can do it. It requires organization, good study habits and you’ve got to have ganas de verdad.” She recognizes all the sacrifices she has had to make like those all-nighters after a long day when time is never enough. 

The Juanas with the LAI trophy. Hillary wears jersey #14.

However, the person who has helped Hillary all this way has been her mother. She considers her as “the most important support that has always been there with me through it all.” Throughout her childhood, Hillary’s mother took her to and fro practices, woke up early with her, gave her pep talks whenever practices ran too late into the night, and ultimately, helped Hillary grasp her dreams and triumphs. 

Another person she looks up to is the soccer-player Kaká, because like Hillary, he dedicates his games to God. “I’m a big believer and I always pray before a game because it calms me down a bit.” Another thing she tends to do before playing is re-watching last year’s finals to get more motivated. 

Hillary admits she is fiercely competitive, and it shows: her record has been 46 points in a single game. It’s a dragon she’s chased ever since: it was a feat managed several years ago, while playing for the “Survivors.” With sparkle and determination in her eyes, she said: “I’ve got to break that personal record soon.”  

Hillary after the Juanas’ championship win last year.

Utterly conscious of gender roles in sports, Hillary explains how unfair it is that some sports are aligned to certain people. “Most people think that soccer or basketball is just for guys. We girls have the same abilities, and just like dance, it’s not just for girls. There’s a big misconception about that.” 

As the Juanas look forward to the next phase of their games, the nerves are evident in Hillary’s eyes when thinking about the semifinals. “I know we can give even more. Now we have to give it 100% to achieve another championship. We have worked very hard for this.” 

Author of "Partida en Dos," a self-published poetry book, and also published writer featured in magazines such as Sábanas, El Vicio del Tintero, Emily, and the Anthology of the Revolutionary Alliance. Bachelor student of English Literature and minors in Comparative Literature and Teacher Preparation. Born and raised in the West of Puerto Rico, artist, dancer, tree-hugger and animal rights activist. 
Claudia is a witchy English Literature and International Affairs major from La Parguera. She's worked in various on-campus projects, such as the MayaWest Writing Project and as a tutor at the English Writing Center. In addition, she's worked at Univision and has also been published in El Nuevo Día and El Post Antillano. When she doesn't have her nose in a book, you can find Claudia tweeting something snarky and pushing boundaries as a Beyoncé expert. Follow her on Twitter and Instagram, @clauuia.