Her Campus goes Colegial green

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPRM chapter.

As this autumn’s foliage begins to drift at our feet, a new Her Campus chapter in the beautiful island of Puerto Rico strikes the collegiette scene. Five girls, led by the physics student Laura Olivieri, began this promising chapter representing the University of Puerto Rico, Mayaguez Campus. The new team was created as a thrilling opportunity for the Mayaguez female student body to expose what this West Side Campus has to offer to the collegiette world of Her Campus. 

On the week leading up to our launch, the whole team collaborated to prepare a series of promotional activities. It began with the painting of an on-campus billboard with the HC logo indicating our site (and link of course) and date of launch. While it sounds simple at first, I have to say painting is a lot harder than I thought; after three days of non-stop painting, countless hours in the sun (to which I have my tan to prove) and the unconditional help of my editor-in-chief Laura, the billboard was finally done.

We then moved onto the face-to-face promotional phase, which consisted of a lounge-inspired stand in the middle of our Campus; on the stand we gave out information about the UPRM chapter, the overall dynamic of HC, and of course we took the opportunity to recruit girls interested in being a part of our team. During this lounge-inspired Meet & Greet (as we called it), our team had the opportunity to approach aspiring collegiettes in a different angle; the activity was a success, we received a great feedback, and certainly made some new friends. Another one of the team’s promo activities was the distribution of flyers throughout campus; these were placed in all the school’s buildings, popping out in a highlighter pink color. 

It is essential to say that the weeks prior to this day have been full of enthusiasm and dedication, and that none of it would have been possible without the overall collaboration of the team. The journey has led to this day on which this novel team of five girls from the “Enchantment Island” of Puerto Rico launch their chapter for the wide collegiette community of Her Campus, so stay tuned to learn more about the unique UPRM thoughts and experience on collegiette college life.

Meet the team:

•  Laura M. Olivieri- Campus Correspondent and Editor-in-Chief
  •  Mónica B. Ocasio- Vice President
  •  Alexandra Rosario- Photographer
  •  Andrea P. Vega- Publicity Director
  • Aurelie C. Arnould- Photographer

Mónica Ocasio is a senior majoring in comparative literature, with a minor in Italian at the University of Puerto Rico- Mayagüez. Born, raised and living in Puerto Rico, Mónica has always enjoyed reading a good book, spending time with her family and baking.