This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPRM chapter.

Last Tuesday, February 10 at 6:30 pm, the Gay-Straight Alliance UPRM (GSA) club held a speed-dating event open to all students, regardless of their sexual orientation.

Rafael Chaparro, Animal Science Major and treasurer of the first GSA club in Puerto Rico, recognized by the National Safe Schools Roundtable (NSSR), said that the focus of this event was Valentine’s Day. But above all, they wanted to provide a safe and all-inclusive environment “where heterosexuals and also people of the LGBTIQA+ community could meet, whom under other circumstances wouldn’t do so on campus.”

This happens to be the second year where GSA organizes a speed-dating event that reflects and promotes their beliefs in accepting diverse sexualities and respecting human rights, through making new friends and having new relationship in an ambiance of respect.   

After the main event was over, GSA in association with Carib -an organization that offers counseling for male to male sex relationships, offered a free clinic to all the participants, where they could choose to get tested for sexual transmitted diseases like HIV and Hepatitis.  This showed the compromise of these organizations to the health of the student community. Carib also provided a kit with informative pamphlets about their mission and services, along with condoms and lubricants. 

Kenneth, a first time event attendee, commented, “ It was quite interesting. I loved the dynamic of talking with different people, not only “colegiales”, but also meeting other students from different colleges who attended as well.” The chemical engineering student also mentioned that the element of variety was a nice asset to the event because there were people from UPR-Aguadilla, of the Inter American University from the San Germán and Aguadilla Campus.  It was also said that students from the Pontifical Catholic University of Mayagüez, participated as well. 

Students who participated in this event organized by the GSA, should be receiving the results of a possible match earlier next week, so they can plan ahead for a second date!

“I did like it a lot and I think I will go next year if I can make it”, said Kenneth.  So if you are interested in future speed dating events or many more organized by the GSA, like their page on Facebook, so they can keep you updated with many more news.

**Photos were taken from GSA’s Facebook Page

Her Campus at UPRM