This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPRM chapter.

Contrary to popular belief, it’s never too late to start a new hobby; only you can control your the direction of your life and decide whether you want to develop new skills, no matter your age. If you are interested in picking up a new hobby and don’t know where to start your journey, you’ve come to the right place. Here is a list of different skills that you can slowly develop and turn them into your new favorite pastime:

Coding– Learning how to code is similar to learning a new language. If you learn how to code, this skill will open many doors for you. You can learn to edit your own website, or maybe learn how to create your own program so it can function however you want it to (i.e.. creating macros in Excel). Also, there are many highly renowned companies taking over the market, such as Twitter and Facebook,  in which recruiters are looking for people who have basic programming knowledge. A great way to start is by creating an account at Codecademy, which is a completely free website that has tutorials on different types of coding languages.

Running your own blog– Having an outlet to express your thoughts, art, or whatever you want can be extremely liberating. There are many websites, such as Tumblr or Wix, that help you create your own unique blog. Your blog can consist of literally ANYTHING YOU WANT. It could be a journal of your daily thoughts, poems, pictures of your artwork, a collection of your favorite memes, different pictures that go along with an aesthetic of your choosing, a food blog, a dog blog, etc. The possibilities are endless; think of it as your zen zone. You can also gain a following of people who love your content, and maybe find a community of bloggers that follow your same aesthetic.

Create your own art- A friend once told me “So many people have this misconception that art is limited to one’s talent. First of all, we all have the talent to create something beautiful; what  makes a difference is how much effort and practice you put into it. Start by practicing whatever troubles you, may it be a nose or a tree daily, and you’ll see how drawing the same object everyday will slowly progress into a more  defined and beautiful artwork with your own style.” Great ways to get started are by viewing tutorials on YouTube or Pinterest on whatever subjects you feel like drawing, painting, or photographing.

Learn a new language– It is truly amazing how much learning a new language can help you. Speaking more than one language enables you to communicate with people you possibly couldn’t have before. Being bilingual, trilingual, or  knowing how to communicate in multiple languages also gives you an advantage when applying for jobs and internships, since recruiters see it as a big advantage.  A great way to start is by downloading the Duolingo app, which is completely free, and writing down the words you learn in a notebook dedicated to that language. You can also watch language tutorials in YouTube that teach you the basics of any language; just search the one that interests you the most.

Get into the gym life– Maybe you think sweating and running on a treadmill for an hour is not your ideal hobby, and trust me, this is not what I mean  by “getting in to the gym life”.  Go to your local gyms and ask if they offer any classes, such as yoga, spinning, or bootcamp classes. I encourage you to try these out, since they are not your typical exercises. These classes are fun and you get to meet people who will encourage you to continue and reach your fitness goals.

Bullet Journaling– If you feel like you need a bit more of organization in your life, bullet journaling is the hobby for you. You can keep track of basically anything and everything you want, may it be upcoming assignments, tests, interviews, or more personal information, such as your mood, keeping a track on how many ounces of water you take on a daily basis, or hours of exercise per week. Bullet journaling is a fun way to keep track of you habits and motivate you to complete your assignments.

I hope you find a certain hobby in this list that interests you. If you didn’t find your calling here, I encourage you to search for a pastime that fulfills you and brings you happiness. Remember, no one was born knowing everything, and it’s okay to learn something new everyday, even if its a new skill from scratch. We all learn at our own pace, and the important thing is to be committed and motivated in whatever you do. Good luck!

♡ Marketing Major working towards a minor in Graphic Design ♡
English Major at the University of Puerto Rico, Mayagüez Campus. With a minor in Comunications and a minor in Marketing. Interested in all things entertainment and pop culture. Passionate writer and aspiring journalist. Former Campus Correspondent at HC UPRM.