timon studler BIk2ANMmNz4 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
timon studler BIk2ANMmNz4 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Gerry Pomales Starts His 2018 with “Voy En Reversa”

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPRM chapter.

If you are a fan of the independent Puerto Rican alternative rock band Misa ‘E Gallo, then you most likely know about its front-man’s rap abilities. And if you don’t, then his latest single, Voy en Reversa will inform you about what he is all about. With this latest release, Gerry Pomales kicks off 2018 with a mindset to conquer the year while he raps about topics such as determination, loyalty, and his creative process.

(picture of Gerry Pomales by Yeya Monroig as found on his Facebook page)

A mixture of traditional boom bap and Latin trap, Pomales expresses in “Voy en Reversa, how he wishes to let “everything out”, and how his only concern is his art. He goes on to mention how his loyalty lies on his music while taking a bit of a jab at Bad Bunny calling him a “wannabe”. In the chorus, he goes on to mention “ando dando reversa pa’ dejarles saber que hace tiempo les pase” (I go in reverse to let them know I passed them), a reference to all of those who thought that he could not make it in the music business. This part of the chorus in particular demonstrates how the Misa ‘E Gallo singer is ready to conquer the hip hop landscape in 2018. It is a declaration as if to say “I’m the best and the whole scene will be mine.” He then proceeds to finish the song with a verse where he mentions how his mentors have told him that he is the greatest and how, unlike his peers, he will not focus on the bling that comes with the usual rapper image.

(picture of Pomales as found on his Facebook page)

In “Voy en Reversa”, Pomales demonstrates his ability to mix rapping and singing, a strength not many rappers can actually master. The track is a great mix of traditional boom bap rap and Latin trap sounds giving it a broader appeal. The song shows how Pomales can make pop friendly tunes while maintaining his identity as both singer and rapper. But one cannot simply analyze the single by its audio, as it also comes with a video.

(cover art for the single as found on Pomales’ social media accounts)

When he released “Voy en Reversa”, Gerry Pomales made sure to bring a visual along the way. Directed by Yeya Monroig, the video features Pomales in his humble status as an independent artist.  Featuring a small cast of his friends, a red Mirage, and what seems to be his apartment, the video for “Voy en Reversa” shows how Pomales isn’t afraid to present who he really is, an indie Puerto Rican artist looking to make it by whatever means necessary.

Gerry Pomales’ “Voy en Reversa,” shows a versatile artist motivated to leave his mark on the scene. His ability to sing, rap, and his choice in sound presents his abilities to make radio friendly tunes while keeping his identity. Gerry Pomales might already have a good gig with his band Misa ‘E Gallo, but his current solo project brings out another side of him which also seems promising.

Listen to the song and watch the video here:

Spotify

Soundcloud

Video on YouTube

Fernando E. E. Correa González is the author behind over 20 self-published poetry books. He has been published by literary magazines & journals [Id]entidad, El Vicio del Tintero, Sábanas Magazine, Smaeralit and Tonguas. Other than writing, Correa is also a filmmaker, podcaster, photographer and master’s student. He currently lives in his native Puerto Rico.
English Major at the University of Puerto Rico, Mayagüez Campus. With a minor in Comunications and a minor in Marketing. Interested in all things entertainment and pop culture. Passionate writer and aspiring journalist. Former Campus Correspondent at HC UPRM.