Valentines Day Hub Hero R1?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
Valentines Day Hub Hero R1?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Fun At-Home Activities to Surprise Your Significant Other With on Valentine’s Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPRM chapter.

Love is in the air and, with Covid-19 also circling the atmosphere, couples who are trying to stay safe are probably struggling to come up with ideas for what to do for their SO this Valentine’s. We all know restaurants are going to be packed, and even if those places usually have good COVID-19 safety protocols, they will probably struggle to uphold them when a storm of couples start piling up at their location. The best way to spend Valentine’s is at home or an isolated location. Yet, here lies the problem of WHAT couples can do on this special day besides stare at each other’s faces. Well, there’s no need to worry, for Her Campus has got the article for you! Without further ado, I present to you some cool activity ideas to surprise your partner with. Some of these can even double as a gift if you play your cards right.

1. Make a baking kit

You see, this can double as a gift and activity! You can make a DIY baking kit for desserts, such as cookies. Who doesn’t love cookies? However, to make this a dynamic long-lasting activity you can’t just go buy some Pillsbury dough and call it a day. Try making them from scratch! It can be a funny and enjoyable experience for the both of you. 

First, you must find a box and decorate it with Valentine’s day colors or whatever your style is. Second, find a recipe online and buy the ingredients needed and prepackage the amount of ingredients necessary (they must already be measured) and place them in the box. Not only will this make it easier for the both of you at baking time BUT it will show your partner the extra effort and attention to detail you placed in making them this baking kit.  

2. Are you worried about baking from scratch? Then decorate some sweets instead!

I get it! We are not all skilled in the art of baking and are fond of our safety nets like Betty Crocker or Pillsbury. If you don’t want to go through the trouble of baking from scratch, how about you decorate a cake or some cookies instead? Just buy your preferred cake/ cookie mix and bake them; after they cool down, you can have some fun by giving them amusing designs. You can even pick a theme, like Star Wars or Harry potter, and try to decorate them based on that. This can even be turned into a kit by buying some frosting, food coloring, sprinkles, and edible glitter. Then, put these materials in a cute DIY box! Also, don’t worry if you’re not blessed with an artist’s hand. I believe that trying something new like this and having an epic fail is one of the most enjoyable, funny, and memorable moments to have with a partner.

3. Go for a picnic!

You can do all of the previously suggested ideas and then take your sweet creations with you on your picnic. If you happen to live by a field or have a big backyard, you can prepare a little area for your SO and surprise them! All you need is a big blanket or quilt of some sorts, an array of snacks (or some of your favorite fast food), and try to make the setup look cute. If you or your SO are into TikTok, picnics have been trending on the app and people have taken some really cool videos. You can get some inspiration from there! Here’s a few links to some, and you can continue down the TikTok rabbit hole for more ideas.

https://vm.tiktok.com/ZMed6Ewru/

https://vm.tiktok.com/ZMed6ELjr/

https://vm.tiktok.com/ZMedM2CvA/

4. If you hate nature and being outside… then build the most epic fort in history

Ah, I remember as a child how much I loved to build forts out of blankets, chairs, pillows, sofas, or whatever I could get my hands on. Going on a trip down memory lane and reliving your childhood with your partner can be super exciting. You can have a little fort picnic, watch movies, play cards/ board games, or even video games if you somehow manage to fit in whatever console you use. If you have the advantage of owning a Nintendo Switch, then that would surely be fun and easy to use inside a fort.

5. Get artsy

This is another idea that can be turned into a kit. Buy some small canvases, get some paint , a few brushes and make an adorable art kit for Valentine’s day. You can even turn it into a competition to see who paints what better. Perhaps follow a Bob Ross tutorial?  Maybe you can try to paint each other and have a good laugh. Get creative and try all sorts of things!

I hope this helps or at least gives you some inspiration on what to do for that special somebody in your lives. I’ll definitely try all of these at some point with my boyfriend because I know these types of activities can be great for bonding (and even work on those teamwork skills!). Perhaps the only one I personally wouldn’t do is the art stuff, but that’s only because he’s talented and I’m a sore loser like that, but I still have plenty of other options to choose from, and now you have some as well!

Happy Valentine’s day and Stay Safe :)

Daniella Angueira is currently completing a bachelor's in English and a minor in Writing and Communications. She loves baking, savory foods and is always looking to try something new. One would usually find her studying, eating, or planning her next life goals.
Former Campus Correspondent at HCUPRM, freelance writer and editor. I've had the pleasure of participating in the Disney College Program, and as a Research Editor at the 2020 NASA L'SPACE NPWEE Academy.