Free Activities and Resources at ‘Colegio’

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPRM chapter.

Have a tight budget and many needs? It’s understandable, we all do. Not only do we need help, but we also need fun! Now you can stay on budget by taking advantage of these free activities on campus:

1. Monthly planetarium and observatory open house at the Physics building: Every second Tuesday of the month the Physics building opens its doors to the public. They offer small talks and demonstrations of their planetarium and observatory. Although the planetarium and observatory open at 7:30PM, it’s highly recommended to arrive early to Physics 448 since families, students, and everyone in the community comes to visit this site.

This picture was actually taken by yours truly at the Physics’ observatory.

2. Bi-weekly yoga classes: Great for relieving stress after an exam or just as a form of exercise, every Tuesday and Thursday relax with some yoga. Even though it is free, you must bring your own mat, towel, and water. Make sure to get to the Natatorium room 113B before 5:00PM since spaces are limited.

3. Presencias: Events with purpose to cause cultural awakenings, they are once a week ranging from concerts to plays to symposiums. Check them out at www.uprm.edu/presencias.

4. Goju ry Karate Do: Open to everyone in our community who wishes to learn or exercise through this method. Every Monday, Wednesday, and Thursday from 5:30PM to 7:30PM.

5. Bi-weekly Zumba classes: Looking for a fun way to burn off the calories from your favorite guilty pleasure? Every from Monday to Thursday at 5:00PM go to the Natatorium and dance off the calories. 

6. English and Spanish Writing Center: Some professors may require your work checked here before handing it in; regardless, it is a great service to make sure your work is A worthy. Both centers offer their service in Celis 323, every Monday to Friday, from 8:00AM to 4:30PM.

7. Swimming: Great for swimmers that want to stay warm or just for those of us that love the water, the natatorium has various hours for different types of swimming. For lap swimming it is open Monday and Wednesday from 6:00PM to 8:00PM; every Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday from 8:30 to 11:30; and Saturday from 1:30PM to 4:30PM. It is also open for recreational swimming every Monday and Wednesday from 12:00PM to 9:00PM; and on Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Fridays from 2:30PM to 9:00PM; and Saturdays from 8:30PM to 11:00PM and 1:30PM to 4:30PM.

8. Math Counseling Program: For those of us who aren’t all that talented in the math department, now you can get help without spending a penny: free help for basic math courses are held by the Deanship of Academic Issues. Open Monday and Wednesday from 2:30PM to 8:00PM, Tuesday and Thursday from 4:00PM to 8:00PM, and Friday from 9:00AM-1:00PM.

Get it? Imaginary number

All of these events are announced through ‘la Cartelera Semanal’ sent by ‘Cartero.’ Event days and hours may be subject to change. 

Image References:http://i.imgur.com/mKo1V7V.gifhttp://www.uprm.edu/cms/index.php?a=file&f…

A History of Europe major at Universidad de Puerto Rico, Rio Piedras. She is a natural born leader that loves to get involved in all sorts of activities; loves animals, painting, and sleeping while it's raining. Plans on becoming a lawyer after graduating from 'la IUPI'.
Her Campus at UPRM