Five Local Coffee Shops to Try This Semester

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPRM chapter.

Coffee, espresso, coffee shop, local, Mayaguez, uprm

You’ve probably have a bunch of New Year resolutions you plan to stick to during this semester, but  the one that’s possibly missing is getting out of your comfort zone and trying out different coffee shops in your local area.  Whether one of these is already your go-to coffee place or you are not sure you’re ready to cheat on your barista, here are a few local places you’ll love once you try them.

1.  Clara’s coffee & sweets

This new coffee spot has swept customers off their feet with their clever combination of freshly baked sweets and good-quality coffee. UPRM Physics junior, Laura Olivieri, shares: “I love going to Clara’s because they have different treats every day, the ambiance is very welcoming and the employees are super nice; you always get your coffee with a big smile”.

What to order: Cupcake of the day paired with a “café bombón”

2.  Massa Artesian Bakery

Massa has the European bistro vibe with a combination of the so-loved local bakeries; you may find UPRM students, as well as people who work nearby. When Massa opened its doors, it was very frequented by colegio students who were looking for an indoor place to relax and have a good cup of coffee. Frequent customer and 23-year-old, Gabriela Muñiz, says: “The best things about Massa are their sandwiches and coffee. I usually order a Cuban in ciabatta multigrain (delicious).”

What to order:  Massa’s signature sandwich, the 230 paired with a double shot latte

3.  Merendola

This hip coffee shop captivated customers with their bright and fun ambiance back in 2014. Regular customer and UPRM Biology student, Elisa Rodríguez says: “What I like the most about Merendola is probably the prime location, since it’s close to the main road and there is always parking. The food is great and the staff is very friendly. Plus, the décor and ambiance is really modern and relaxing.”

What to order: Avocado & hummus sandwich paired with a classic cappuccino

4.  MariKao Coffee

Only few have been able to find this hidden jewel located at La plaza del mercado, the heart of Mayagüez. But it is guaranteed that whoever finds it will be coming back. First time UPRM visitor Manuel Vega says: “I never thought I would find an espresso of this quality at la plaza del mercado. The service and drinks are really good, as well as for the local setting”.

What to order: Macchiato paired with a fresh pastry

5.   Cyber Café Mr. Cash

Although not known by many colegiales, this coffee shop is located just 10 minutes away from campus and it has been welcoming coffee lovers since 2012. Like any espresso bar, at the Cyber Café you’ll find a variety of espresso drinks either hot or cold with an interesting twist, their espresso machine. Biology student and barista, Enrique Maíz shares: “Here at the Cyber Café we use the espresso machine La Marzocco Strada (two groups); what attracts customers firsthand is the coffee, but the facilities and ambiance are great for study groups or just to sit down and talk.”

What to order: Nutella panini toasts paired with an iced coffee

Mónica Ocasio is a senior majoring in comparative literature, with a minor in Italian at the University of Puerto Rico- Mayagüez. Born, raised and living in Puerto Rico, Mónica has always enjoyed reading a good book, spending time with her family and baking.