This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPRM chapter.

Article by Carlos Micames.

Last week I finally found the time to take an Uber to the movies and watch the long awaited live recreation of Beauty and the Beast, with Emma Watson as Belle and Dan Stevens as Beast. Watson’s role as the innocent, extrovert Belle seeking for a life outside of her small village mirrors the representation presented in the Disney classic from 1991. The film immediately invokes nostalgia in viewers who have seen the classic, presenting memorable songs such as “Be Our Guest,” “Something There,” and the iconic Beauty and the Beast composition that brings tears to anyone’s eyes. The film was extremely loyal to the original both in screenplay and script, but added unique touches such as LeFou’s humane side, actually making viewers feel bad for him. While watching the remake, I was mesmerized the entire time but there were a few scenes in particular which caught my attention.

Presentation of Belle: I had rewatched the original version a month before watching the new one in preparation. I was astonished at the similarity between the two versions in this scene. Emma Watson is dressed to portray a mirror image of Belle, and the camera angles utilized throughout the song are perfect to capture the essence of Belle’s contrast to the other villagers and her desire for a greater understanding of life. I have to say that Dan Stevens did an amazing job as Gaston. I really grew to despise him as the film continued.

Deeper background into the characters: In the original film, Belle’s mother was never mentioned and viewers were left to assume that she had died in some way. The same applies for the Beast, whose family is basically non-existent. I personally thought of the Beast as an entitled brat. However, this film dives deeper into the background of these characters and their family roots. The director uses Beast’s family, particularly his father, as explanation for his arrogance and superficiality as a young prince. On the other hand, Belle’s mother was a victim of the Black Plague and her father ran away in order to save his young daughter’s life. This adds another dimension to the father’s personality and provides him with a much more compassionate, amiable background that is seldom seen in the original film. There is also much more background on the supporting characters’ families such as Mrs. Potts, Cogsworth, and Cadenza. The ending of the films where these characters reunite with their families really adds a delightful touch.

The ballroom: We were all awaiting for this moment since the first trailer and it didn’t disappoint. With the actors wearing the original style of the garments used in the original film, this scene had everything needed to satisfy the audience. Compelling, sentimental music, key camera angles to present the physical contrasts between the 2, perfect lighting to display the emotion of the scene to the audience, and the actors’ facial expressions. Considering that this was a live remake the facial expression were essential, particularly in this scene. The concentrated gaze into the other’s eyes with smiles emanating deep fulfillment was what completed this scene and captivated the hearts of audiences all over the world.

I left the theater emotionally drained after seeing the film. It surpassed all my expectations and left me with a feeling I haven’t had since I saw La La Land. I greatly recommend this film to anybody, but preferably after seeing the original version by Disney. That is the best way to truly grasp the full experience of this ride.

If you haven’t seen it, make sure to go watch it!

My reaction as well.

Her Campus at UPRM
Jennifer Mojica Santana is an undergraduate student at the University of Puerto Rico, Mayaguez Campus (UPRM). She is currently pursuing a degree in English with a concentration in Literature, and minor studies in Project Management and Writing and Communications. Mojica Santana has written for UPRM's chapter of the online magazine Her Campus since March 2015. She served as the chapter's Senior Editor from January 2016 through May 2016. From June 2016 through October 2017, Mojica Santana was the chapter's co-Campus Correspondent and co-Editor-in-Chief. During the summer of 2917, she conducted research at Brown University. Currently, she is a visiting student at Brown University.