This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPRM chapter.

The 60th Annual Grammy Awards were carried out on Sunday, January 28th, 2018 at the  Madison Square Garden. Music’s biggest night gathered some of the industry’s most important artists and honored this year’s music. However, no award show is complete without amazing performances, and this year’s Grammys were no exception. These were some of the most memorable performances of the night!

1. Bruno Mars and Cardi B, “Finesse”

This performance had me on the edge of my seat! Everything about it was memorable, from Bruno’s choreography to Cardi B’s on point rapping. Cardi rocked her first Grammy performance with great energy, and Bruno Mars, never disappoints. The only thing I did not love was Cardi’s outfit, but it did fit with the 90’s vibe that the song and video has.

2. Luis Fonsi and Daddy Yankee, “Despacito”

As a Puerto Rican, I was looking forward to this performance. This was a groundbreaking moment in Grammys history, where a song that is completely in Spanish was performed. The performance was a special moment for all latinos, and Luis Fonsi and Daddy Yankee brought it all to the stage. The performance featured an appearance by Zuleyka Rivera, who is the main model in the video, who looked incredible. However, I would have loved to have seen Zuleyka dance a little more during the performance.

3. Kesha, “Praying”

This was one of my favorite moments of the night. Kesha showcased her vulnerable side performing her song “Praying,” which was written about her legal battle with Dr. Luke. She was joined onstage by Camila Cabello, Cindy Lauper, Bebe Rexha, Julia Michaels, and Andra Day. The emotion displayed by Kesha in the performance and the support of her fellow singers was an empowering moment for women everywhere.

4. Patti LuPone, “Don’t Cry For Me Argentina”

This performance by the icon Patti LuPone, was simply stunning. Performing the classic from her Tony-award winning role of Evita, the Broadway moment brought down the house. The vocals and the emotion were show-stopping, and the performance was one that will go down in Grammy history.

5. DJ Khaled, Rihanna, and Bryson Tiller, “Wild Thoughts”

Rih- Rih does it again! Rihanna joined DJ Khaled and Bryson Tiller to perform the song, “Wild Thoughts.” From the energy to the South African Gwara Gwara dance, the performance was one of the most energetic ones of the night!

6. Lady Gaga, “Joanne” and “Million Reasons

This stripped-down performance by Gaga was different from her previous over-the-top performances. Singing a mix-up from “Joanne” and “Million Reasons,” this performance was a refreshing, as she displayed her talent and powerhouse vocals. Gaga also played the piano while she sang, and it was a very heartfelt performance in honor of her late-aunt Joanne.

7. Kendrick Lamar, “XXX” “DNA”

As the beginning of the award show, Kendrick Lamar performed a mix of “XXX” and “DNA.” Joined by U2’s Bono and The Edge, Kendrick developed an explosive performance with a political message that kicked off the award show on a high. It was the perfect performance to begin the show with, and definitely got me excited for what was to come.

8. Pink, “Wild Hearts Can’t Be Broken”

Pink’s performances are usually filled with show-stopping elements such as aerial stunts and even scaling buildings, but this time, she chose to deliver a stripped-down performance where she let her talent and her powerful lyrics take center stage. I also loved that she was joined by an ASL interpreter during her performance, but I would have loved for the audience at home to have been able to see the interpreter during the entire song, perhaps on the corner of the screen, in order to fully appreciate it.

22 years old. Island Girl. Bilingual. Political Science. International Relations. Pop Culture Junkie. Music & Movies.
English Major at the University of Puerto Rico, Mayagüez Campus. With a minor in Comunications and a minor in Marketing. Interested in all things entertainment and pop culture. Passionate writer and aspiring journalist. Former Campus Correspondent at HC UPRM.