jamie street KaAiThQZrGU unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
jamie street KaAiThQZrGU unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Fall Makeup Tutorial

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPRM chapter.

Are you one of those people who waits the whole year for that hot and yummy pumpkin spice latte and is so ready to decorate and wear those berry toned lips? If you are, welcome to the club!

We’re FALL-ing all again over these limited edition drinks to commemorate the season and cozy outfits we’ve been dying to take out or a spin for an entire year, so what better way to begin this leafy season than with a tutorial from yours truly?

With this tutorial you’ll learn to make the perfect fall smokey eye in no time, so let’s start!

1. Base color

Apply your base color all over the outer V-crease and going a little bit higher to the brow bone. In this case, we want a color darker than our skin color, yet it will be the lightest color we will use on the whole look! We used “Beach” from The Kylie Cosmetics Burgundy Palette. A good dupe for this color is “Note to Self” by Colourpop.

Tip: Don’t forget to blend the edges, so no harsh lines will be shown. Blending is key, guys!

2. Transition color

The transition color is the first color we apply to create the gradient effect we want. For this color, we’ve used a more berry/orange than our last color. We used “Penny” and “Brick” from The Kylie Cosmetics Burgundy Palette, being “Crisscross” and “Top Notch” by Colourpop good dupes for these colors!

The transition color is applied just a bit lower than our base color, creating a seven with the outer V and crease.

Tip: Tap brush after running it on the color to remove excess eyeshadow.

3. Gradient color

This is the color that will bring this look together! We used “Burgundy” from The Kylie Cosmetics Burgundy Palette and a good dupe for this color is “Stay Golden” by Colourpop! We applied it on the outer V and crease again, looking to create the gradient effect.

Also, eel free to change this burgundy color for any color you want and works better with your outfit!

Tip: Don’t be afraid of adding colors, mix and do what you feel like it’s right to have the results you want!

4. Black!

What’s a smokey eye look without black, huh? So that’s exactly what we are going to do, just add black all over the lid! We used the black color from Bettina, but you are free to use any brand you like!

Tip: If you did your face first, like we did, don’t be afraid of adding a bit of loose powder under the eyes to catch any fallout. Remember that black eyeshadow can stain your makeup!

5. Eyeliner (Optional)

Eyeliner can be a pain. Wait, who am I kidding? Eyeliner is a pain! But it makes such a difference that we can’t simply resist it! You can either use a pencil, a felt tip liner or gel. Personally, I prefer using a felt tip liner, for I feel like it makes it easier to apply. First, I drew a line tracing the water line until I reached the crease (or half of the eye). Then I traced the eye, and lastly, filled it in.

Tip: You can use tape to make your eyeliner and eyeshadow sharper!

6. False lashes (Optional)

Eyelashes complete the whole look or at least it makes it look more professional! To apply false lashes, you need to put out a line of glue on the band of the false lashes. But the real trick here is to let the glue sit until it becomes tacky, as this will prevent the lashes from sliding all over the eye and smudging all the eyeshadow.

Tip: Apply mascara to help the real lashes blend with the false ones, promise no one will notice! *wink, wink*

7. Highlight!

What can I say? Highlight, just highlight. It makes everything better. Feeling sick? Highlight. Feeling hungry? Highlight. It just life, okay? We used “Mary-Lou Manizer” from theBalm Cosmetics on the browbone and inner corner. Look at that glow!

Tip: Too much highlight is never too much highlight.

8. Photoshoot!

Work it girl!

English Major at the University of Puerto Rico, Mayagüez Campus. With a minor in Comunications and a minor in Marketing. Interested in all things entertainment and pop culture. Passionate writer and aspiring journalist. Former Campus Correspondent at HC UPRM.