This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPRM chapter.

Fall is here! A time of joy and Starbucks’ pumpkin spice lattes. We all love to drink them but, did you know that pumpkin is also great for your skin? According to the International Dermal Institute, pumpkin is full of fruit enzymes and alpha hydroxy acids (AHAs). These components are known to increase cell turnover which is when dead skins shed and are replaced with younger cells. Younger cells mean brighter and smoother skin! And this isn’t the only fall ingredient with great perks for your skin. I love taking some me time especially after all the “hell weeks” full of exams and due dates. Therefore, here are 7 cheap and easy DIY beauty treatments that you can use to pamper yourself in your next study break:

1. Pumpkin Sugary Goodness!

This mask is designed to shrink pores and tighten your skin. Sugar is a light exfoliant that will also help you get rid of some dead skin (Plus, it will smell amazing!)

Ingredients:

½ pumpkin puree (canned is ok! just use 100% pure pumpkin)

2 tablespoons honey

2 tablespoons brown sugar

2 teaspoons almond oil

Directions:

1. Mix all the ingredients.

2. Spread on face and neck, avoiding eye area.

3. Leave on for 15 minutes before washing.

Heads up: This mask is not for you if you have a nut allergy.

2. Pumpkin and Greek Yogurt

Do you love the idea of using a pumpkin scented face mask? Add yogurt and the result is a probiotic bomb which help absorb skill-essential nutrients, vitamins, and minerals. It also gives a great creamy texture! Honey will act as a moisturizer and natural anti-bacterial.

Ingredients:

2 tsp of pureed pumpkin (canned is ok! just use 100% pure pumpkin)

½ tsp organic honey

1 tsp organic Greek yogurt (fat free for oily skin, 2% for dry skin)

Directions:

1. Mix all the ingredients.

3. Leave on for 10 minutes before rinsing your face.

3. Rough Skin

Two main causes for skin roughness and dullness is dehydration and accumulation of dead skins. If you have rough skin, this mask will do wonders! Honey is a great skin moisturizer and brown sugar will help exfoliate away.

Ingredients:

3 tbsp brown sugar

1-2 tbsp unflavored almond milk

1 tbsp honey

3 tbsp organic pumpkin puree

Directions:

1. Mix all the ingredients.

3. Leave on for 10-15 minutes before rinsing off with water.  

4. Pumpkin-Sweet Potato Mask  

Don’t forget the sweet potato! Tuber is rich in free beta-carotene which also promotes cell turnover. For some bonus, add turmeric into the mix (heads up if you do you’ll have a slightly stained skin for a couple of hours).

Ingredients:

1 tbsp pumpkin (canned is ok! just use 100% pure pumpkin)

1 tbsp sweet potato, mashed

1 tsp honey

1 tbsp Greek yogurt (full fat)

**Bonus**

Add a pinch of turmeric to help with uneven skin tone, breakouts and acne scars.

Directions:

1. Mix all the ingredients.

3. Leave on for 10-15 minutes before rinsing.

5. Pumpkin spice lip scrub

Jump into fall with this pumpkin spice version of a sugar based lip scrub. Coconut oil will be the moisturizing agent, while honey will help lock in moisture and heal skin as an antibacterial. Pumpkin Pie Spice just for that great fall feeling and brown sugar for exfoliation.

Ingredients:

2 tablespoon of Coconut Oil

1 tablespoon honey

1 teaspoon Pumpkin Spice

1 tablespoon brown sugar

Directions:

1. Mix all the ingredients.

2. Transfer to a small jar with a lid.

3. Rub a small amount onto your lips in a circular motion for 1-2 minutes.

4. Rinse off.

5. Follow with your favorite balm preferably oil based to lock in moisture.

6. DIY honey cinnamon lip scrub

If you are not that fond of pumpkin but still want that fall feeling, then try this alternative. Once again, honey won’t just make it sweet, it will help keep your lips hydrated and incredibly smooth.

Ingredients:

¼ cup brown sugar

1 tablespoon unrefined coconut oil

1 tablespoon raw unfiltered honey

1 teaspoon cinnamon powder

**Bonus**

Add a pinch of ginger powder, nutmeg, or cloves for extra goodness.

Directions:

1. Mix all the ingredients.

2. Transfer to a small jar with a lid.

4. Rinse off.

5. Follow with your favorite balm, preferably oil based, to lock in moisture.

7. Sugar & Spice Body Scrub

After using this scrub, your skin will be left feeling smooth and refreshed!

Ingredients:

½ cup of canned pumpkin

½ cup of brown sugar

¼ teaspoon of ground cinnamon

Directions:

1. Combine all of the ingredients.

2. Apply all over especially on areas where you have dry skin and scrub gently.

3. Rinse off with warm water.

It is important to take some time for you, especially in this time of the semester, when all the work seems to be pilling up. Remember that you should always think of your health first. Use this time to enjoy and relax. You’ve earned it!

Chemical Engineering major with a passion for writing and empowering women through words. Favorite quote: "Be of service. Whether you make yourself available to a friend or co-worker, or you make time every month to do volunteer work, there is nothing that harvests more of a feeling of empowerment than being of service to someone in need." -Gillian Anderson
Fabiola del Valle is 22 y/o English Lit. major studying at UPRM. She currently holds the position of Campus Correspondent and karaoke queen.