sagar patil 8UcNYpynFLU unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
sagar patil 8UcNYpynFLU unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPRM chapter.

No, no, this ain’t the whole “new year, new me” bs we hear our aunt say every new year. Don’t worry, I got you covered—sorry aunt Gina. This is about what we want to do on these next twelve months of new opportunities life has given us. We have had so many years to screw things up, so no more free trial, this is going to be our year!

Here is my advice for the new year:

1. It’s always nice to be nice.

If someone does you wrong, don’t waste your energy on doing the same. You don’t have to be the better person, you already are, so just be nice.

2. Eat it!

Yes! Eat that chocolate bar! Drink that milkshake. Eat it all, every year we make the “resolution” about going on a diet, exercising and getting fit or whatever, then at the end of the year we feel like a total failure because we did exactly the opposite. Make this year different, eat that cake with no regret!

3. Yes, laugh a lot.

Something made you laugh and it’s too quiet to laugh? Who cares! Laugh, be different, who knows probably someone else wants to laugh too. Laughing makes everything better, so show us your teeth!

4. Do what you love.

Love to dance? Go dancing. Live to sing? Go to a karaoke. It’s that simple. If you love to do something and you have that trembling passion flowing through your veins, don’t waste your time, do it!

5. Finish it!

I mean, you already started it. Finish it, give yourself that satisfaction. Don’t start something to leave it behind, things are right there just waiting for us to give it a chance, and if you did, finish it. There’s no better feeling than accomplishment.

6. Don’t give up.

Just because you’re not good at something right now, doesn’t mean you won’t be later. You have the talent and the capacity of doing anything you put yourself up to.

7. Wear it!

Fashion is for everyone, and every style is unique! If you are feeling like wearing that dress, wear it. You will look amazing, don’t doubt it. Confidence is the best way to go! If you love how you look, then nothing else matters.

8. Let it go!!!

No, not Frozen, even though the song is now stuck in your head, sorry!  He broke your heart? You cried too much already, let it go, move on and show everyone who’s  boss. This year is about moving on and upward. 

9. Go for it!

Go slay that interview and go get that job. Come on, you’ve been waiting your whole life for an opportunity to knock on your door, open it and greet it in.

10. Don’t adult.

Yeah, pay some bills and go do your job, but never let the innocence of your inner child fade away. Play with your cousin and his LEGOs, play hide-and-seek or whatever. Life is too short for you to stop having fun.

11. Love yourself!

Love yourself enough to know that you’re worth it, that you deserve good things and that you are wonderful. Love yourself to the point where someone else loving you is just a bonus, love yourself enough to know that you don’t have to put up with anything except your own requirements.

12. Try it!

Don’t know how that tastes like? Give it a try. Want to skydive? Sure! Give it a try, because it will be a new experience, maybe you won’t like it, but what if you do?

13. Don’t judge.

She’s too shy? Talk to her, maybe she’s dying to say something. He seems cooky? Maybe he isn’t, don’t judge someone or something by the way the look or “by their cover,” just take the chance.

14. It will pass.

Sadly, not everything is perfect and things may not go as planned. That’s okay, it will pass you know? Good times will come, keep on with your life, it will be alright.

15. Get busy.

Get busy with your life or it will get busy without you. Do things that inspire you, do things that make you happy. Go get busy with your family, your friends, your pets, with yourself! Spend your time doing things that you really enjoy.

16. Don’t go with the flow.

Stop, watch where you’re heading and think if that’s where you want to go. Just because someone else is doing it, doesn’t mean you have to do it. Go your own way!

17. Take a breath.

Breathe, it’s free. Life can get overwhelming and you can start feeling anxious—tell me about it. So take a moment to breathe and get your head back in the game. Trust me, it’ll be worth it.

18. Perfection is boring.

Your flaws make you who you are. That smile is adorable and your laugh is very contagious, don’t try to act like someone you’re not just to be perfect, you be you and nothing will ever top that.

Never forget that happiness is a choice, the rest is a matter of perspective.

English Major at the University of Puerto Rico, Mayagüez Campus. With a minor in Comunications and a minor in Marketing. Interested in all things entertainment and pop culture. Passionate writer and aspiring journalist. Former Campus Correspondent at HC UPRM.