This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPRM chapter.

Yes, yes…I know. We are all obsessed with Netflix’s latest hit Bridgerton. The classic enemies to lovers trope we all know and love between Lady Daphne Bridgerton and our favorite Duke, Simon Basset, has left many of us wanting more. So while we wait for the anticipated season 2, here are some book  recommendations you will be sure to enjoy. 

Pride and Prejudice      

Romance  

By: Jane Austen

Any fan of the series Bridgerton will absolutely fall in love with Jane Austen’s classic novel Pride and Prejudice. Set in early-nineteenth-century England, this novel follows the second born daughter of the Bennet family, Elizabeth, and her blossoming relationship with Fitzwilliam Darcy. During this enemies to lovers story we see the five Bennet sisters enter society through a traditional line of balls, parties and social gatherings. As each event progresses, the sisters show through their personalities their future as wives. Pride and Prejudice still remains one of the most popular English literature novels. 

A Thousand Pieces of You      

Sci-Fi /Romance  

By: Claudia Gray

If you like to go on an epic adventure with the characters you love and have been really intrigued by the concept of the multiverses, this book right here has you covered. This book is the first in its trilogy and explores Marguerite Caline on her journey to find Paul, the man who destroyed her family. Using her parent’s invention called the Firebird, Marguerite must jump from universe to universe, always having to navigate another version of herself to chase Paul. Soon she learns that the life of the man who destroyed her family is entangled with hers in increasingly familiar ways.

Wintersong     

Fantasy / Re-telling  

By: S Jae- Jones

A strong heroine, a romantic and dark tale, music and magic: this book has it all. Wintersong follows Liesl, an 18 year old girl who dreams of becoming a famous composer but is torn between her dream and responsibility of helping her mother run the family’s inn and taking care of her sibling. All her life the tales of the beautiful, but dangerous, Goblin King have inspired her pieces, and when her own sister is taken by the Goblin King, Liesl has to journey to the Underground to save her. Liesl must discover who she truly is before time runs out. 

The Shadows Between Us      

Fantasy     

By: Tricia Levenseller

This is a tale of love and power, and most importantly it’s a villain love story! Alessandra is the second daughter of a noble man, but she has a very ambitious plan. She wants to marry the Shadow King, gain power and reputation, kill him, and then rule the kingdom. But this feet will not be an easy one: there is a lot of mystery surrounding the Shadow King’s power and this uneasiness stirs up more enemies after his coronation. Alessandra must keep him alive long enough to become his queen, and then kill him herself.  Will Alessandra succeed in her mission? Or will our villainous queen lose to her heart?

Bridge Kingdom            

Fantasy  

By: Danielle L. Jensen

“What if you fell in love with the one person you’d sworn to destroy?” Let’s picture Black Widow as a princess: that’s Lara. She is a lethal spy from noble blood trained since childhood with one mission, to bring her future  husband’s kingdom to the ground. Lara is sent as a bride to fulfill a peace treaty between her father’s Kingdom and the Bridge Kingdom. The Bridge Kingdom controls all the trade and travel between lands, becoming richer by depriving the other kingdoms of resources, including Lara’s home.  She is prepared to do whatever it takes to bring them down, but finds in her new husband more questions than answers. Where does the evil truly reside? Lara can no longer fight the attraction to the man she swore to destroy, and as she comes closer and closer to completing her mission, one question will decide her fate: Will she be the destroyer of a king or the savior of her people?

During the hard times we are going through, books offer us a chance to travel anywhere from the comfort of our home. While there are many online book retailers, please be sure to support your local bookshops by checking them out for even more amazing finds. 

Third year student at UPRM currently working on a psychology bachelor.
Andrea Méndez Igartua is pursuing a major in psychology and a minor in writing and communications. She's passionate about reading and writing, and hopes to publish a novel one day.