ENACTUS RUM’s Road to China

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPRM chapter.

“Our goal is to help make a better world”, Christian Camacho, industrial microbiology student. Many have seen or heard about ENACTUS RUM and their upcoming trip to Beijing, China to represent Puerto Rico. They may be traveling to present their projects and represent over four million people, but what are truly amazing are their hard work, dedication, teamwork and perseverance throughout the whole process. This group, composed by 25 “colegiales”, has shown that teamwork is the key to success.

Their road to China began four years ago and developed into four projects; two of which are being presented in Beijing on October 21-24, by five speakers of different faculties.  Among these speakers you’ll find graduated Psychology student María McCormack, sociology student Jorge López, general Agriculture student Adriana Rivera, and industrial microbiology students Christian Camacho and Carolina Marrero. The two projects that won ENACTUS RUM the spot in China were the “One step ahead” and the “Limitless” projects. In both projects the team helped margined people and representatives of diversity in our communities to be part of a better society. This is what ENACTUS precisely follows as a global non-profit organization; “a community of student, academic and business leaders committed to using the power of entrepreneurial action to transform lives and shape a better more sustainable world.” (enactus.org)

The work has been non-stop for the five speakers as well as for the Enactus team, but motivation is the secret to this road. Graduated Psychology Major, María McCormack said: “ We are all motivated by the goal of changing lives” , which is what kept this team going forward through these months of hard work.

The personal and professional growth in this global organization is imminent throughout the whole preparation process. Christian Camacho said to HCUPRM: “This has helped me identify what I want professionally and how to achieve it. One thing is having a vision; another is to know how to accomplish it.” For Microbiology student Carolina Marrero is all about teamwork: “Seeing how in this interdisciplinary group we share all our different knowledge and we all come together for the same reason, impacting someone positively, truly makes you value teamwork.”

In the next stage of the ENACTUS RUM  journey is not about representing the UPRM student body only anymore, “now we’ll be the voice and image of the four million habitants of the island,” said McCormack. She added: “Who was to say that we, a student team, would present to the world the amazing things Puerto Ricans are able to accomplish.”

The upcoming presentation in Beijing may seem as the end of the road for the team, but it is just a stop on a long way. “What we want to carry on is the message that humanity is not lost, great things can be accomplished with team work and setting your mind to it,”  said Carolina Marrero as she thought of the long way she has come with the team.

It is needless to say that much can be learned from the 25 group of members of this hard working team. Together, they pass on the message to every young student out there, that making a difference is possible. 

Mónica Ocasio is a senior majoring in comparative literature, with a minor in Italian at the University of Puerto Rico- Mayagüez. Born, raised and living in Puerto Rico, Mónica has always enjoyed reading a good book, spending time with her family and baking.