Dance Team: Go Bulldogs! Edition

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPRM chapter.

There’s always a person responsible for effective teamwork and victories. That’s why for this Justas 2014, taking place April 6- April 12, HC-UPRM wants you to know the people responsible for keeping our teams together and strong.

Meet Bruno Rodríguez, captain of the renamed UPRM Dance Team. Keep reading to know more about this energetic dance leader who knows how to keep this team in sync.

Name: Bruno Rodríguez

Major: Industrial Biotechnology

Year: 5th year

HCUPRM: What is your role as team captain?

BR: I’m the mediator between the director and the students. I’m also part of the team, but when the dancers have inquietudes or there is something they don’t like, I hear them out and we talk it through with the director.

HCUPRM: How is your relation with the team?

BR: Well, the first semester was a little weird, because we didn’t know each other very well. This semester, the Justas semester, we began to know each other better and so the director elected me as team captain. I get along really well with all the dancers and there is definitely more than just a team to this dance group. We are basically like a family; we all get along and it makes it easier when making decisions.

HCUPRM: How has been the experience and work leading up to this event (Justas 2014)?

BR: Last semester we held auditions and tried to get dancers that integrated well to our team. In November, unfortunately the director’s contract was cancelled. Because of that we didn’t get a chance to practice for the December period. In January it was all set up again, so we came back to practice. We had 5 new dancers that got in in the auditions and we called up old dance team members; fortunately we integrated very well together and we were able to recover the missed month without practice. It was definitely not easy, but we made it through.

HCUPRM: What do you like the most about your job as team captain?

BR: The experience of the Justas, it really is something inexplicable. Last year when we arrived at the competition and they called out the “Colegio”, we saw that dancing floor and the coliseum completely packed and it was truly amazing. Being there and receiving all the support from fellow students, it’s something else. That is precisely what is keeping us strong for this year’s competition.

HCUPRM: What can UPRM fans expect from your team’s participation this Justas 2014?

BR: We are coming much stronger than last year. Last year we were strong, but people kept waiting for results. This year we looked back on what we did wrong, we experimented other points of views and thought about how we could execute to perfection last year’s performance. We also kept in mind about what we missed to get that first place, so this year we incorporated all those aspects into our routine. 

Mónica Ocasio is a senior majoring in comparative literature, with a minor in Italian at the University of Puerto Rico- Mayagüez. Born, raised and living in Puerto Rico, Mónica has always enjoyed reading a good book, spending time with her family and baking.