The Crucial Lessons Hurricane María Taught Me and Puerto Rico

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPRM chapter.

Almost two months later, it is evident that Hurricane María’s fierce winds destroyed Puerto Rico.  However, during difficult times, strong, dedicated and resilient people are known to shine. This hurricane experience has been a “wake-up call” to many, not only in terms of being grateful for what you have, but in the belief that people have not lost their ability to empathize. The famous saying of “when life gives you lemons, make lemonade” is relevant to my personal experience during this hurricane and its aftermath, because it taught me important lessons I will never forget and needed to learn. Puerto Rico showed through its people that it can survive anything as long as unity, empathy and love is present. The resilience and positivity can be demonstrated in a photo or video, but it doesn’t compare to seeing it in person. It’s breathtaking to see people who have lost everything somehow managing to emphasize the importance of positivity during this situation, making people all around the world acknowledge the action of being grateful, and promoting the emotion of empathy and care for others.

(Photo Credit: Hector Retamal)

Hurricane Maria, even though you did tremendous damage to my island, I still thank you for important lessons learned:

1. Electricity isn’t everything, therefore make the best of what you got.

Society today is too involved with social media, television, computers and other technology many consider “necessary” to live. However, during this experience, those gadgets were rendered completely useless. We went back to simpler times, where activities such as riding a bike were just as important as phones are today. Not having power for long amounts of time made me realize how dependent we are on technology, probably to the point of considering it obsessive. I opted to do other activities like reading, exercising, and meditating, which were extremely fun and fulfilling, and I didn’t need to worry about the aspect of low battery or the internet failing.

2. Family and friends are what life’s all about, so enjoy and value time spent with them.

Immediately after the hurricane passed, families and friends were eager to get in touch with each other, but since the phone lines were severely damaged, those who had family members in the U.S. or in other parts of the island had extreme difficulty in making or receiving calls. When the moment finally came where families and friends were reconnected through technology or in person, the results were sincere tears of joy. The amount of protection, love, and care demonstrated by family and friends was overwhelming . Despite the circumstances, this period was a great time to get in touch and reunite with people whom you love and care for because in the end, every human needs to feel like they belong somewhere.

(Photo Credit: Carlos Giusti)

3. There’s no such thing as being bored or too busy, so spend your time wisely and efficiently.

There were days when everything around you seemed quite overwhelming, especially things like the heat, not having electricity, water, or phone lines. Many wouldn’t think twice before saying  “I’m bored,” but this hurricane taught me there’s no such thing because instead you should say “what can I do?”. During this experience, I did things I either put off for when I had more time or tried new things that had never occurred to me to try before, because I always saw myself as too busy or overworked. This experience helped me learn the difference between boredom and procrastination. It made me realize how humans are so involved in their duties that they refrain from doing things that are actually good for them to try. One must push through to find a balance between work and hobbies, making you realize that there can be time for both with a little effort and organization.

It is worth noting that ALL community centers and refuges need volunteer work. They only take a couple of hours, and instead of feeling “bored” you’ll be able to contribute and work in the restoration of your beloved island. If everybody contributes at least something to help, the process of growth and development will be faster and more efficient.

(Photo Credit: EPA)

4. The power and impact of a good leader can guarantee amazing results.

During this time where many people didn’t have access to necessary items such as water or food, real leaders worked tirelessly to fix or mend this crisis. Known leaders such as mayors, police, chefs, and government officials worked arduously to help the people of the island. One that stood out during this time was San Juan mayor Carmen Yulín Cruz, who was recognized by the media for her work for the people of San Juan and its nearby towns. I witnessed through the media the goodwill of these leaders; but have also witnessed firsthand how leaders of community centers have worked to ensure the well-being and health of the people.

(Photo Credit: Twitter)

5. Empathy and resilience are key factors in order to help others in time of need.

The response of the Puerto Rican people to this crisis has been inspirational and amazing, in particular, strangers offering to help one another in different ways. One of the my experiences with this hurricane taught me this last lesson, which is the importance of empathy and resilience. The morning after the hurricane, family members rounded up to distribute fruits to people around my neighborhood. When we were distributing them, we visited a neighbor who has diabetes and needed ice for her daily insulin. Luckily, since we had a small generator for the fridge, we gave her ice for her insulin along with a small refrigerator. Her response when she saw the ice were tears of joy and gratitude, along with the repetitive phrase of “See? There are truly good people in this world.” Throughout a month, until electrical power was re-established, each afternoon we went to her house to deliver the ice, and she always received us with a magical smile.

(Photo Credit: CNN)

I will never forget everything learned. This hurricane changed the way I look at life, like the realization of the many blessings normally taken for granted, and  family and friends that care deeply. Actress Carrie Fisher once said: “take your broken heart, and turn it into art.” Puerto Rico has done just that, making me extremely proud to be a part of this small, but mighty island.

(Photo Credit: Pinterest)

Right now, donations to the island are  needed, so many organizations and foundations will gratefully accept any amount donated. This TIME magazine shows some of the many organizations giving money to the island. To see this article click the link down below:

http://time.com/money/4957145/puerto-rico-hurricane-maria-help/

If you would like to donate to local Puerto Rican nonprofits and grassroots movements, refer to Her Campus UPRM writer Julianna Canabal’s article to find which you would like to donate to:

http://www.hercampus.com/school/uprm/8-puerto-rico-based-nonprofits-worth-donating

In addition, Puerto Rican artist Lin Manuel Miranda released a song titled “Almost Like Praying” available on iTunes, in which all the proceeds go to the Hispanic Federation in order to help Puerto Rico.

English major at the University of Puerto Rico, Mayagüez Campus. Aspiring TV writer, producer and director who has the ability to change the world one show at a time. All round Feminist inspired by great actresses like Mary Tyler Moore, poets like Maya Angelou, broadcasters like Oprah Winfrey, and fighters like Gloria Steinem. Lover of life, food, meditation, swimming and anything that has to do with the 60's,70's and 80's.
English Major at the University of Puerto Rico, Mayagüez Campus. With a minor in Comunications and a minor in Marketing. Interested in all things entertainment and pop culture. Passionate writer and aspiring journalist. Former Campus Correspondent at HC UPRM.