diego ph fIq0tET6llw unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
diego ph fIq0tET6llw unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Collegiette Survival Guide for Hurricane Season

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPRM chapter.

Hurricane Season has started and Puerto Rico is not exempt from it. When you live in a tropical island, you know what happens during the months between June and November. As we see Irma around the corner, here are a few tips to prepare for it:

1. Secure all your surroundings in the house.

It is important that you secure everything around your house to prevent any tragedies or accidents during the hurricane.

Image Link

2. Charge all your electrical devices and gadgets.

It doesn’t matter if you are going to use them or not, charge them. All cellphones, laptops, music devices ,and tablets. Especially cell phones, in the case of an emergency.

Fun tip: Buy (if don’t have it already) an external battery to keep your phone charged.

P.S. Also, charge the external battery.

3. Buy lots of water and canned food.

It is important that you buy food and water for at least a couple of days. Protein bars are a great meal substitute and will sustain you for a couple of hours.

4. Gather water in every container that you can.

Having water will not only help with basic chores around the house, like cooking, washing the dishes, etc., but it can also be boiled and sterilized for consumption. If you run out of water to drink, just boil some of the water that you gathered, drop one or two drops of bleach, let it sit for an hour or so, and you will have sterilized, drinkable water.

5. Buy batteries and flashlights.

Even if you don’t use them, buy them. You don’t know when these things will come in handy.

6. Do not panic.Panicking is the worst thing that could happen in any natural disaster or situation. Just breathe in and out, and relax.

7. Have a first aid kit on hand.

Have a basic first aid kit on hand with the essentials: bandaids, alcohol swabs, gauzes, painkillers, and a thermal blanket.

8. Know the phone numbers of emergency agencies.

If you don’t have them, don’t worry, we have you covered:

9. Identify possible replacement shelters and evacuation routes

Each municipality has designated schools that will be used as shelters. If you live in an area that’s at risk of flooding and there is a possibility that you might be relocated, find the local listings here: https://www.elnuevodia.com/noticias/locales/nota/conocecualessonlosrefugiosdisponiblesanteelpasodeirma-2354876/

10. Last, but not least, keep your pets safe.

Let’s try to not repeat events like the ones that happened in Houston, Texas, where hundreds of dogs and cats were stranded after the hurricane. Keep your four-legged furry friends safe.

Puerto Rican girl that loves food, music and books. 
Jennifer Mojica Santana is an undergraduate student at the University of Puerto Rico, Mayaguez Campus (UPRM). She is currently pursuing a degree in English with a concentration in Literature, and minor studies in Project Management and Writing and Communications. Mojica Santana has written for UPRM's chapter of the online magazine Her Campus since March 2015. She served as the chapter's Senior Editor from January 2016 through May 2016. From June 2016 through October 2017, Mojica Santana was the chapter's co-Campus Correspondent and co-Editor-in-Chief. During the summer of 2917, she conducted research at Brown University. Currently, she is a visiting student at Brown University.