Cheer Cutie: Nicole Shayline Acosta!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPRM chapter.
Meet this week’s cutie, not your typical cheerleader. We got our pom poms ready for the gorgeous UPRM cheerleader, Nicole Acosta. This social butterfly has more than beauty; she is dedicated to cheering and has brains too! When she’s not cheering on the sidelines of a Bulldogs game, she is writing or seeking adventure. Read on to find out more about Nicole!

Name: Nicole Shayline Acosta Rodríguez

Age: 19

Year: 2nd

Mayor: Industrial Management and Marketing

Hometown: Guánica

Relationship Status: Single

Describe yourself in 3 words: Spontaneous, Perseverant, Confident

Favorite food: Seafood & “comida criolla”

Favorite drink: Coca-Cola & Piña colada

Celebrity crush: Ian Somerhalder

HC-UPRM: What’s your ideal first date?
N.S: My ideal first date has to involve a right balance between a satisfying conversation and a pleasant distraction but above all, it has to be a fun one. I’m always open to different and new things, so my ideal first date is one without expectations, different and just a nice moment to get to know each other.

HC-UPRM: What is your most memorable moment at UPRM?
N.S: My most memorable moment at UPRM is when I had the chance to compete in the USA, representing our distinguished institution in ESPN Wide Sport in the UCA Nationals Competition. I have to say it has been the best experience I’ve had so far.

HC-UPRM:When did you first start cheering?
N.S: I started cheering in my first year of college. I never saw myself being a cheerleader but now I can truly say it is one of the best things that has ever happened to me. (GO BULLDOGS!)

HC-UPRM:What is it like to be in the UPRM Cheerleading team?
N.S: It’s a sacrifice. Being an athlete in college is really tough because you have to sacrifice a lot of your time, but if you love what you do and have the desire to be the best, it becomes easier to balance the important things in your life. You definitely start to organize yourself better and start appreciating the free time even more. I think our most common phrase in the squad has to be “I’m sorry, I have practice”.

HC-UPRM:Do you have any hidden talents?
N.S: I don’t really know if I have another talent besides cheering, but if eating and sleeping count as a talent they would definitely be my “hidden talents”. I also like to write a lot and for me it’s really easy to socialize with people because I am a very outgoing person. 

HC-UPRM: Where do you see yourself in 10 years?
N.S: Well, I can’t really say how or where I see myself in 10 years because I’m a “right now plan” kind of person, but I would like to see myself being the best in what I do professionally and hopefully travel the world.  

A twenty year old student studying Social Sciences and Italian at the University of Puerto Rico - Mayagüez. I have a great desire to learn from others, travel, live, and be the best person I can be.