Café Campo: A Tradition of Flavor

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPRM chapter.

There’s no denying it, we all love coffee! That’s why on December 2nd, a team of students from the Agriculture Department organized Café Campo at the Piñero building. The purpose of the activity was to promote our local agricultural products by delighting the students with the many flavors of our home cultivated coffee. It also offered an opportunity for local artisans to exhibit their products, from handcrafted art to tasty dulces típicos.” As for the music, Alma Latina and a group of students from the Banda y Orquesta made sure to put some flavor into the flavor.

The vice-president of the directive board of this activity, María González Morales, expressed her thoughts on this event: “Café Campo is an activity that is good for the heart and soul. It is where the majority of farmers and baristas meet to expose their coffee which is crucial for the local agriculture  and economy these days. It is a collective pride to see people take a moment of their stressed induced lives to get a cup of coffee and forget about everything for a little while.”

Erwin Rivera

Erwin Rivera is a plastic arts student of Colegio that makes ceramic tableware. He specializes in creating unique colors for the pieces, which means that you can’t find them in public stores. He talked about the long process of creating them, “I love to work with my hands and get dirty so that’s my favorite part about doing my job.”

5 Días con Nuestra Tierra

Edvian Martínez, member of the 5 Días con Nuestra Tierra team, was in charge of an informative table of the biggest event in Colegio for the general public. “Café Campo is an activity to raise awareness of the different types of coffee produced in Puerto Rico and promote the coffee industry that has been in peaking since recent years.”

Alma Latina were the closing act.

The activity was delightful. For those of us who got the chance to have a taste of the delicious flan de café, we should tell you that participating at Café Campo should be at the top of your Colegio bucket list.  The overall activity was really fun, entertaining, and, most of all, very educational for students and everyone who showed up. We can’t wait for 5 Días con Nuestra Tierra to finally get here!