CAAMpus Cutie: Volleyball CAAMpeón Jancarlos Negrón

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPRM chapter.

He is tall, dark, handsome and incredibly sweet, the by-the-book definition of perfection. He stands out in the crowd, whether behind the cameras or at the game court. You may think that a volleyball CAAMpeón may only have a thing for sports, but this week’s CAAMpus Cutie proves that he is more than meets the eye. Let yourself be charmed by this future orthodontist, Jancarlos Negrón.

Full Name: Jancarlos Negrón Pérez

Age: 21

Major: Biology

Year of study: 4th year

Hometown: Arecibo, Puerto Rico

Relationship status: Single

For how long have you been playing volleyball?

I have been a volleyball player for 4 years.

How does it feel to be part of the CAAMpeones last year? Do you think you guys will win again this year?

It has been a privilege and an honor to represent UPRM for the whole three years that I have been on the team. Yet, I must admit that being part of THE team of CAAMpeones feels surreal and special. We worked very hard for that title and that is the plan this season too in order to repeat the win. We can’t underestimate our opponents, however; we do have the talents and coaching to win. It will be a matter of staying positive, focused and working as hard as we always do.

What do you enjoy the most about the game?

I find it very stress-relieving. Yet, what I like the most is I learn something new every day. One of the many valuable lessons I have learned as an individual and as a team player, is to stay focused on the things that really matter, the ones that actually make a difference in your life. 

Besides playing volleyball, you’re also a model. How did you started modeling?

Modeling was a rare opportunity that just happened along the way. I am a huge believer that what is meant to be is meant to be, and this was one of those things for me. I absolutley love it, and plan to continue doing so for as long as the opportunity remains. 

How do you picture yourself in ten years? 

This year will probably close the volleyball chapter in my life for good. Once I finish my Biology degree I would like to pursue studies in Orthodontics. As for my modeling career, it is something I want to keep working on.

Best UPRM experience so far:

When we played UPR-Río Piedras in the semifinals! Playig the decisive game againts our eternal rivals at our Mangual was by far one of the most exciting moments I have lived! It was a tough game but the huge support from the fanaticada colegial gave us the push we needed to make it to the finale, where once again they cheered for us unconditionally and helped us bring the  gold home. 

Former Chief Editor and Campus Correspondent at the Her Campus UPRM chapter of the University of Puerto Rico at Mayagüez. Writing in NYC, living the dream.