CAAMpus cutie: Margie Muñoz

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPRM chapter.

Energetic people, just like charges on an electric field, exhort a force on you. Every time you are around them it seems you acquire some of that energy too! This weeks’ CAAMpus cutie seems to have that effect.  Margie, who considers herself part of the Queer community, is an outspoken, loving and hard-working colegial. Keep on reading to know some bit and pieces of who she is.  

Name: Margie Muñoz

Age: 21

Major: Philosophy

Hometown: Aguada

HCUPRM: Name your passion

Philosophy and Crossfit. I use these fields to challenge my limits both mentally and physically- in fact, every aspect of my life seems to me challenged by these two.

HCUPRM: What’s a cause you feel strongly for?

I’m a big feminist but I also have very strong feelings for minorities, for those causes that are commonly ignored but nevertheless exist.

HCUPRM: How do you manage your time?

Well, I come to campus two days a week because I train and coach crossfit. Aside from that I also work as a bartender and have to attend the occasional drill at the army base. My agenda is pretty packed so setting priorities is life or death for me. The large and difficult tasks are always done first.

HCUPRM: Who do you admire the most?

I have a long list of famous philosophers but would have to say that my mom. She is a hard working mother, who raised me alone and has always accepted me. I’m very grateful that she always recognized that I knew what was good for me. 

HCUPRM: Considering you are an unconventional woman, have you ever experience discrimination?

Oh yes! There was this one time a professor-stopped class- to ask me if I was a boy or a girl. Seems like she forgot my name for a moment. I didn’t mind the question but the fact that she did it in the middle of class was kind of harsh.

HCUPRM: With your background on philosophy, what would you say to people who are constantly being discriminated?

I would advocate for not being as judgmental as the people who are judging you. It sounds paradoxical but we have to accept that not everyone receives the same education or share lifestyles.

[Favorites]

Book: Genealogía de la Moral

Philosophers: Nietzsche, Judith Butler & Marilyn Frye

Post-workout snack: Peanut butter sandwich on multigrain bread

Olivieri is a Puerto Rican entrepreneur who craves knowledge and has a passion for writing. Currently trying to unravel the world's mysteries by majoring in physics.