The Best Pictures and Signs From the Paro Nacional

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPRM chapter.

On May Day, the entire island stood up and went on the streets to protest against austerity. The bubbling clamor inside each Puerto Rican erupted and its citizens found their collective voice to speak out against oppressive reforms from the government and the Fiscal Control Board. These would involve huge monetary cuts to pay off a multi-billion dollar public debt.Today, the people stood up and filled the streets with their drums, chants and posters all over cities like San Juan and Mayagüez.

The Revolutionary Artistic Alliance represented and took part of the march as well and took pictures. The group of young adults focus on art as a medium for change as per their motto, #ReiniciArte. (“Re-stArt”)

The Paro Nacional (National Strike) is not just by and for students of the UPR system, but also for the people of varying groups and communities, such as unionized workers, teachers, feminist groups and others as part of International Worker’s Day.

“The fight is not for the scholarhips. The fight is for your grandparents’ health, for your children’s education, for your parents’ retirement, for the good of the country.”

The people’s indignation is evident. Puerto Ricans are being held accountable for a debt that they know little of, as a detailed receipt is yet to be made. The receipt above was made by C.A.B.A, a student from UPR-RP. The tired Puerto Rican people expressed their thoughts and feelings through diverse forms of written art.

From left to right: “Kidnapped Democracy,” “Enough with filling pockets and emptying futures,” and “If vultures are in power, it’s because democracy smells like a corpse.”

“You cannot arrest an idea” and “Mom, Dad, Grandma and Grandpa support the protest.”

“Our natural resources are for sustaining my country, not for paying off your unsustainable debt.”

“He who does not move does not hear the noise of his chains. #AuditNow!”

“A ‘stupid’ protest is worth more than ‘stupid’ people who don’t protest!”

“I’m a national athlete. It would be very hypocritical to use the colors of my flag again without truly fighting for her.”

“Ricky (Rosselló, Puerto Rico’s governor) don’t kill our education like you killed a mother and her child while drunk in 1994

“They took so much from us that they took away our fear.”

Among well-known personalities like for former candidate for governor Alexandra Lúgaro, Senator María de Lourdes Santiago, San Juan Mayor Carmen Yulín Cruz, filmmaker Jacobo Morales, and René Pérez from Calle 13 (left) marched alongside the workers of Puerto Rico and even famously known superhero Spidey was found waving the island’s flag. Accompanying the protesters were also the comedian Molusco and Willy, the lead singer of Cultura Profética.

Author of "Partida en Dos," a self-published poetry book, and also published writer featured in magazines such as Sábanas, El Vicio del Tintero, Emily, and the Anthology of the Revolutionary Alliance. Bachelor student of English Literature and minors in Comparative Literature and Teacher Preparation. Born and raised in the West of Puerto Rico, artist, dancer, tree-hugger and animal rights activist. 
Claudia is a witchy English Literature and International Affairs major from La Parguera. She's worked in various on-campus projects, such as the MayaWest Writing Project and as a tutor at the English Writing Center. In addition, she's worked at Univision and has also been published in El Nuevo Día and El Post Antillano. When she doesn't have her nose in a book, you can find Claudia tweeting something snarky and pushing boundaries as a Beyoncé expert. Follow her on Twitter and Instagram, @clauuia.