Best Drugstore Makeup for Cash-Strapped Beauties

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPRM chapter.

You don’t need to spend a fortune in order to look fabulous! Here’s a lineup of my favorite drugstore makeup products; most of these work even better than expensive high end makeup… you’re welcome! 

1.  Loreal Magic Skin BB Cream

If you need makeup that lasts all day, this stuff is like magic. It’s the only drugstore BB cream I’ve tried that keeps my skin matte and my makeup looking fresh all day. Loreal has formulated four colors, which they claim adjust to fit most skin tones (hence the “magic”). I would recommend choosing a shade lighter than what you usually choose, however, as it runs a bit darker than other BB creams. 

2. Maybelline Instant Age Rewind Dark Circle Eraser Concealer

As a self proclaimed makeup junkie, I’ve tried concealers high and low (both drugstore and high end brands, I may add). To this day, I have not found a concealer that can top this multi-tasker. Originally formulated to hide tough under-eye circles, it can take on all kind of blemishes. The reason this is still my #1 concealer is that is doesn’t crease and lasts all day. I recommend this anyone and everyone! 

3. Rimmel Stay Matte Pressed Powder

I’ve tried all sorts of setting powders, high end and drugstore, and this reigns as my #1 for oily skin. The best part is that its one of the cheapest pressed powders, even in drugstores! Score!

4. Maybelline Color Tattoo 24hr Cream Eyeshadows

Few products actually do what they claim to do, and I guarantee this is one of them. Once you smooth this creamy shadow on your lids, it will not budge until you take it off with (heavy duty) makeup remover. Don’t worry if bright turquoise isn’t really your thing, the range of colors Maybelline has formulated is to die for.

5. Maybelline Volum’ Express Mascaras

Maybelline volume express mascaras have always been known for giving high end mascaras a run for their money. My favorite of the bunch is definitely The Rocket. 

6. Covergirl Clump Crusher by Lashblast Mascara

If there’s one thing I cannot stand its when I’m excited to try a new mascara, only to find it makes my lashes look like clumpy spider legs. This new found mascara is definitely named after what is does. For real. This may be the best mascara, and not just drugstore. Ever.

7. Almay Color and Care Liquid Lip Balm (In Rosy Lipped)

This product is technically a “liquid lip balm” but the resemblance to MAC lip glasses is crazy. I would describe it as a cross between a lip balm, a lip gloss and a lip tint. The best part is that is has none of the stickiness most drugstore lip glosses have. Take it from me; I hate lipgloss and this is one of my favorite drugstore lip products ever. My favorite shade is Rosy Lipped, a versatile nude-rose color that completes most daily makeup looks. 

8. Revlon Just Bitten Kissable Balm Stain

I’m a bit embarrassed to say I own this product in every single color. EVERY. SINGLE. SHADE. I can explain though, I promise. This is one of the few drugstore lip products that are great for sensitive skin and last for more than five minutes. They’re called “balm stains” and they apply like a lip balm and are super moisturizing. The fun part however, is that once the moisture fades, all that will be left on your lips is a gorgeous stain- drink proof, kiss proof, basically disaster proof. My favorite shade is smitten, a gorgeous berry-pink.  

Deborah is a junior at the University of Puerto Rico at Mayagüez. She was born in Puerto Rico and raised on the other side of the world. Deborah is a self proclaimed beauty blogger and loves watching recipe videos and Full House reruns for hours at a time. You can probably find her making bento boxes or trying to be mysterious.