Best Advice I’ve Gotten from My Best Friend

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPRM chapter.

By my first year in Colegio I was enrolled in a humanities class where I met Carla. Although I was an awkward mess, we ended up being pretty good friends. Up to this day, we’ve gotten closer and I will admit that her friendship means the world to me. It’s one of those random friendships you made while waiting in the hall for the professor and suddenly they are exactly what you needed. Whenever I am down, she is usually right there to pick me up and vice versa. Carla is always very straightforward with me and everything in her life really. I admire how honest, determined and strong she is. Over the years she’s given me the best pieces of advice ever and I want to share them with my readers.

Date Yourself

Self-love is the most important type of love. If you don’t fall in love with yourself first, how are you going to allow others to do so? Go and buy yourself flowers or that dress you loved, go to the movies alone and/or go out for some ice cream. Be as nice and sweet to yourself as you would be with another person because you are the first person who deserves a love only you can give.

Walk away from everything that is toxic

If you don’t feel comfortable or happy in any circumstance, the best you can do is walk away. Things that truly help you grow, be yourself and bring positivity, won’t ever feel like a burden. You need to know the difference between constructive criticism and words that are simply said to bring you down. Don’t allow anyone to make you feel like you deserve less. Forget about the world and do whatever makes YOU happy.  

Consistency is key

When it comes to dating, there are many important things to keep in mind. However, Carla and I both agree that consistency is super important. You don’t want to date a person that stops trying as soon as they realize you’re into them. We are not in high school anymore, so playing games of uncertainty is a big “no-no” for us. Find yourself a person who will try to show you they care and want you in their lives everyday. Sure, we have good days and bad days, but that doesn’t mean you have to ride an emotional rollercoaster for it. If you feel that you have to go M.I.A in order for them to notice you, then it is not worth it.

I know most of these pieces of advice are common sense or you’ve heard them a million times, but it is nice to know someone is there to remind you of them. If you do have a Carla in your life, don’t forget to tell her or him how grateful you are to have them in your life. Friendship is a rare thing nowadays, so I try my best to tell those closest to me how much I appreciate them, just like my friend Carla does with every single piece of advice she gives me.

Currently an undergraduate at UPRM, english major. My life is an open book so I enjoy allowing others to read me. It's my way of telling a stranger that even if they don't know me, they can relate to what is ever going on in their lives. I am one part anxiety, half uncertainty and the other half curiosity. I laugh at almost everything, obsessed with pineapples and in love with photography. I am all about simplicity and I only function with caffeine.
English Major at the University of Puerto Rico, Mayagüez Campus. With a minor in Comunications and a minor in Marketing. Interested in all things entertainment and pop culture. Passionate writer and aspiring journalist. Former Campus Correspondent at HC UPRM.