nathan fertig y0HerwKQLMk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
nathan fertig y0HerwKQLMk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Being Single During the Holidays as a Hopeless Romantic

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPRM chapter.

As a hopeless romantic, I find the holidays to be one of the most romance-filled seasons of the year. If you’re single, it might feel lonesome at times, especially if everybody around you seems to be in a relationship. From family gatherings, to cheesy Hallmark movies, we’re constantly reminded of how great it is to have significant other to do cute holiday stuff with. However, it is important to remember that just because you’re single, it doesn’t mean that you can’t enjoy the best season of the year. There are numerous ways in which you can make the most of the holidays as a single person:

1. Start to enjoy doing stuff by yourself.

Remember that you don’t need to be in a relationship to be happy with yourself. You want a partner to share the joy you already have in your life. Yes, it would be amazing to have someone to match holiday outfits, bake pies, and watch romantic comedies with, and even have Christmas stockings with your initials on your Christmas tree, but things happen when the timing is right.  Don’t let finding your significant other be the only focus in your life. Enjoy what you have instead of focusing on what you don’t. Get your Christmas decorations out and make the most of it. Invite friends over so they can help you put up your Christmas tree and make something memorable of it; or if you enjoy decorating by yourself, put on some music to set the mood and get into your Christmas spirit. In your free time, do stuff that makes you happy. Whether it’s going to the movies, reading a book, hiking, meditating, or going out for coffee, there’s so much you can do by yourself during the holiday season. There’s no shame in doing stuff on your own and it doesn’t mean that you’re going to die alone surrounded by cats. No matter what you do, or whether or not you’re doing it by yourself, make sure you’re having a blast!

2. Get to know people you’d like to get to know better.

Romantic relationships aren’t the only type of relationship that can fulfill you. If you know someone you’d like to become better friends with, now it’s the perfect time to get to know them better. Whether it’s a classmate, or someone you met in a jangueo, invite them for a cup of coffee and spend some time together. It’s incredible how much joy new friends can bring to your life. Who knows? You might be developing a meaningful friendship that can last a lifetime.

3. You’re not alone.

Most importantly, always remember that you’re not alone. You have your family, your friends, and your pets (if you have any). Friends are our family by choice and romantic partners come and go, but true friends will always be there with you. There are all sorts of activities you can do with your friends, such as planning Secret Santa gift exchanges, organizing Christmas parties, having sleepovers, you name it! Do something for New Year’s as well. It’s important to kick off a new year surrounded by positive people. Strengthening that bond with your friends is very important, especially now, given the circumstances our island is going through. It’s time to be more united than ever. Nothing can compare to the feeling of knowing you have a wonderful group of friends you can always count on.

It’s time to enjoy the holidays and share love, happiness, and positivity with the people around you. Romance is great, but in order to attract it, you have to be happy and confident with who you are as a person. Don’t despair, the right person will come along some day and you’ll get to do all the things you’d like to do with a partner. Things happen when they’re supposed to happen! Who knows what the New Year is going to bring?

English Major at the University of Puerto Rico, Mayagüez Campus. With a minor in Comunications and a minor in Marketing. Interested in all things entertainment and pop culture. Passionate writer and aspiring journalist. Former Campus Correspondent at HC UPRM.