This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPRM chapter.
“If you don’t love yourself, how are you gonna love somebody else?”
― RuPaul

I think we can all agree Valentine’s Day is one of the best holidays ever,  not only is everything pink and red, but this is the time when people are most open to the idea of love. Often, those of us who are single, or have not been asked by a special someone to be their valentine, it can be challenging being surrounded by all the lovey dovey emotions. So, instead of waiting for a guy or girl to ask you to spend valentine’s day with them, be your own valentine! If you have some money to spare, here’s something you can do:

1. Buy yourself something you want or something that reminds you of you

This gift does not have to be expensive! It can be something as simple as a single rose or a chocolate bar. 

1. Find an activity for you do to

A perfect activity for Valentine’s Day could involve baking cookies, cupcakes, or dipping strawberries into melted chocolate (the best method is cutting the stem off, making a little hole on top and filling that with your stuffing). 

1. Grab yourself something to wear

Pink pajamas are always a must (or red).

1. Find something for you to watch 

This day and age, it is so easy to log into a streaming service and watch either a movie or a show, you don’t even have to leave your house if you don’t want to!  (PS: Howl’s Moving Castle is my favorite love story, thank me later.)

1. Be kind to yourself

Even without all of this, being kind to yourself on a day when you feel bad about yourself or your self-worth, is the best way to combat these feelings. Remember you are no less than just because you are spending February 14th alone. For some, it’s just a regular Tuesday and that’s okay, too. 

Julienid [they/she] is an English Literature student at the University of Puerto Rico Mayaguez. her passions include literature, writing, and the mystical unexplained phenomenons of the universe. In thier free time, you will find them cozied up with their cat, a mug of hot cocoa and a book.