“To Be Sola”: Alex García’s Blog Dedicated to Traveling Solo

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPRM chapter.

Trip to PA, Philadelphia in 2012/ Yoho National Park in BC, Canada.

As a woman, telling your parents that you want to take a solo trip is voluntarily signing up for endless lectures as to how to avoid danger. Luckily, I stumbled upon this amazing blog in which offers perfect advices to prepare for every time I want to solo travel. In addition, I was able to read about this blogger’s experience in her adventures. Her name is Alex García, and she is a UPRM Alumni. Apart from being a full-time nuclear engineer she is all about adventure. Alex is into many things such as writing, photography, hiking, but most importantly, solo traveling. Alex has a blog dedicated to all her adventures called “To be Sola”. I’ve had the opportunity to talk to her and she is truly an inspiration. Off the bat, there was so much positive energy from the way she talked about her favorite things. It is clear to see that Alex is living the life she wants because she wakes up every morning and chooses to do so.

Cartagena, Colombia

She decided to take a trip before graduating from Colegio in 2015. She wanted to travel to Chile but, unfortunately, it was too expensive. Alex ended up with a random multi-country trip. Her first adventure consisted in being in Bolivia for eight days, traveling to Perú for a week, followed by Quito, Ecuador for another week, in which it was even more amazing because ever since she was a child she had always wanted to go to Perú.

Machu Picchu Perú

Alex felt like she flourished in every aspect of her life after this first trip. She was branching out professionally and academically. In a way that allowed her to come out of her shell. She was no longer as shy as she used to be. This allowed her to simply apply her adventurous side to everything.   With these trips she realized a very important aspect about how she was currently living her life. She felt like she got so caught up and was simply in auto mode, to which I believe that we can all relate too. So with these trips she was able to change that. It was nice to simply break that routine and live. With this, she got back to things she used to do. She started writing again, and with it, a thought came to mind. “I loved what I studied but I was always too technical.” Alex rediscovered herself, and continues to do so with every single trip she takes.

Kenny, Mooche the dog, and Alex, her small family in one of the state parks in Virginia.

Alex has also found love and support from her fiancé. We talked about how amazing it is that the man she has beside her not only supports her solo trips, but also started doing the same. They both encourage each other to pursue their life dreams and goals. She explained that while many people say “to travel before you fall in love and get married,” this isn’t necessarily her advice. “You don’t need to be single to do so” she said, because in her case, she has found someone who supports her all the way.  

Her purpose with this blog is to inspire people to find their bliss, what they love, and to pursue it. In her case, it’s solo traveling and sharing her adventures in her blog. Lastly, I asked her if she could give an advice to the reader, in which she responded “enjoy college, to really appreciate everything that goes on, but most importantly, to search for what you are truly passionate about and follow it.” Check out her adventures in the link below!

Blog: https://www.tobesola.com

Instagram: @justcallmealexg

Currently an undergraduate at UPRM, english major. My life is an open book so I enjoy allowing others to read me. It's my way of telling a stranger that even if they don't know me, they can relate to what is ever going on in their lives. I am one part anxiety, half uncertainty and the other half curiosity. I laugh at almost everything, obsessed with pineapples and in love with photography. I am all about simplicity and I only function with caffeine.
English Major at the University of Puerto Rico, Mayagüez Campus. With a minor in Comunications and a minor in Marketing. Interested in all things entertainment and pop culture. Passionate writer and aspiring journalist. Former Campus Correspondent at HC UPRM.