‘Asociacion de Lenguas Extranjeras’, Fascinated By Languages? This Association Is For You!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPRM chapter.

Ciao! Wie geht es jeder tut? Do you have an interest in foreign languages? Want to travel to Korea but need to get familiar with their language first? Whether you wish to learn a new language, already know one, or are currently learning one, the “Asociación de Lenguas Extranjeras” or A.L.E., is for you! The group brings everyone the chance to get motivated enough through workshops and activities like the famous Language Week, “Semana de las Lenguas”.

This year in specific the Language Week will be given twice; this term will be on a more academic basis with the help of some professors, including a day when you can bring a poem in any language you want, and recite it; next term will be a more dynamic and interactive week, giving everyone the chance to participate on the Talent Show. Said activity is the favorite of many – you can do anything from singing, to dancing, and even make a little play, so get as creative as you can get and prepare to have some fun!

Another thing is that anyone who wishes to be a member of the Association is welcomed to join, no matter what discipline you’re from. You can get into contact with them through their Facebook page. While browing through their page you can also get up-to-date with their latest and upcoming activities, see some of the fun that goes on during the Talent Show, and the participation they’ve had with other groups as well.

Some of the workshops they will be giving are on: French, German, and Chinese. These are just for the current term though, therefore you should pay attention to any flyers, Facebook postings, and Cartero emails for specific date and time of each. So far, the Language Week for this term is to happen during the second week of November, and the workshops left are being scheduled to happen before it – wouldn’t want them too close to finals, now would we?

Also, are you planning on taking classes in any language? Every ‘colegial’ knows that these classes are usually the first to go when entering a new term, therefore getting involved with the Association is a good way to know which professor or professors are giving any class you wish to take. Not just because of the classes they give, but for the great knowledge they could share with you even if you are not taking a class with them.

On another note some of the members of the Directive have even gone through projects like summer trips to foreign contries, such as Italy. Therefore if you’re interested in these type of trips they are a great source to ask for advice and answer questions you might have regarding the places you visit, how they managed to get by in a different country, and fun stories on the experience they got. Learning a language on your own is not impossible, but its easier when you’re with friends, so get on board and have some fun with ALE!

Her Campus at UPRM