“Anécdotas”: Negro González Delivers a Potential Classic Filled with Passionate and Emotional Hip Hop

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPRM chapter.

In hip-hop there’s a big divide between artists who maintain their humbleness and those who give in to the “sex, drugs and rock-n-roll” mentality. One of the few artists to practice the former throughout his entire career has been Negro González “El Artesano de la Impro. The Añasco-raised lyricist has been a member of the Puerto Rican and Latino hip-hop communities for years, and in early February he released his most recent project Anécdotas, where he explores themes of identity, family, and love to traditional boom-bap rap.

(Anécdotas cover by Producciones Tabaquero as found on Negro González’s Facebook page)

After teasing the project with the release of visuals for singles “Follow the Leader” and Rap Latino, González dropped the highly awaited Anécdotas in its entirety on Spotify. The tight and concise thirteen-song project is a fifty-six minute album that follows González’s traditional lyrical and personal raps. Take, for example, the songs “Pal Viejo” and “Angélica”, where “El Artesano de la Impro” raps about some of the most important people in his life, his father and grandmother. These emotionally driven tracks demonstrate González’s ability to balance emotion, high-driven energy, lyrical prowess, and storytelling. Furthermore, in a tune like “Tú y Yo”, González explores romantic love, which continues to demonstrate his ability to create passionate tunes. However, that does not  mean that “El Artesano de la Impro” does not manage to provide the same in more head bang worthy tracks.

(picture of Negro González by Alejandro D. Orengo Colón as found on González’s Facebook page)

With songs like the previously mentioned “Rap Latino”, González demonstrates his love for hip-hop, why he does it, and the role he has in the culture. Meanwhile, in a song like the aforementioned “Follow the Leader,” the Añasco-raised rapper demonstrates his lyrical abilities to show that he truly is one of the best in the scene. Along the same lines there can be found the tune “Músico”, where “El Artesano de la Impro” displays his passion for rapping, writing, improvising, and performing.

(Negro González performing in one of the release parties made for Anécdotas as found on his Facebook page)

With the release of Anécdotas, Negro González manages to deliver a passionate and emotionally driven hip-hop album which will have listeners feeling in all kinds of ways. Some songs will have you crying, others will make your head bob, and others will motivate you to achieve your dreams and aspirations. González’s latest project is definitely a project with the potential to become a classic within the genre and it is definitely an album to listen and cherish in this age of fast food media.

Listen to Anécdotas on Spotify here

Fernando E. E. Correa González is the author behind over 20 self-published poetry books. He has been published by literary magazines & journals [Id]entidad, El Vicio del Tintero, Sábanas Magazine, Smaeralit and Tonguas. Other than writing, Correa is also a filmmaker, podcaster, photographer and master’s student. He currently lives in his native Puerto Rico.
English Major at the University of Puerto Rico, Mayagüez Campus. With a minor in Comunications and a minor in Marketing. Interested in all things entertainment and pop culture. Passionate writer and aspiring journalist. Former Campus Correspondent at HC UPRM.